Mercedes 300E High hydrocarbon

I have a 1990 Mercedes 300E. Have 225000 km. I changed spark plugs, dist. cap. rotors, ignition wires, cleaned air filter, put in injector cleaner and drove the car for over 300 km. Checked vaccum lines best I could. Engine light does not come on. I took it for emmision test and it failed on hydro carbon. Limit is 59 ppm and the car has 114 ppm. Can any one help as to what else I should check? Thanks Sheel

Reply to
sheel

[...]

are you burning any oil? How often do you have to add oil? I had much the same problem on my '89 300e and did as you above except now I also had the valve seals replaced since I was burning oil.... will be doing emission soon.... sorry I can't help yet

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I have to put a liter every 2000-2500 km. How much did your valve seat job cost?

Reply to
sheel

I have to put a liter every 2000-2500 km. How much did your valve seat job cost?

Reply to
sheel

Does not appear terribly excessive... are you burning oil mostly when driving at freeway speeds? or just tooling around town. If the former, then seals may be worthwhile I'd think. Had the dealer in town do it.... can't remember off hand how much it was, but pretty sure it was just a few hundred or thereabouts (Canadian, that its). It's the 'bookprice' so not much choice

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

If it is a CIS fuel injection, then you need to adjust the fuel mixture. If it is fuel injection, then you need to check timing.

Reply to
Tiger

I dont know how to check if it is CIS. It does have fuel injectors. Any idea how to adjust fuel mixture? I understand it might be factory set. Thanks.

Reply to
sheel

Reply to
sheel

Mostly tooling around. I am in Canada (Waterloo, Ontario) as well. Did you get it done by Mercedes dealer?

Reply to
sheel

small world, I'm in Waterloo also and went to our dealer on Victoria. The mechanic who does this repair is excellent.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

meant to add, high speed oil consuption (large amounts beyond that normally observed at lower speeds) tends to point to valve seal problems - at least from my limited understanding, those more knowledgeable may correct me on that. do remember that supposedly 1l/1kkm is 'supposedly' within factory spec.....

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I meant electronic fuel injection where you need to check timing.

CIS has a round fuel distributor in the middle of enigne or on the side... there is an allen key in the middle recessed... it is best to have a garage adjust this with their exhaust analyzer.

Reply to
Tiger

Especially considering we're talking near-village here... ;-)

I mean, it's not like LA, from where half the participants of this NG seem to come...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

...on the other hand, most Canadians live in walking distance of the US border and most of those live in southern Ontario...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Ironically I moved from Waterloo to Los Angeles in 1979 but was born in the UK.

Even more ironically I only drove Subarus in LA.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Not quite, but 1/3 of canada lives in the toronto area (1.5 hrs from the border) and 90% of Canada lives within 100 miles of the US border.

The Toronto area is the largest local dialing area in the world.

And MArseilles is the second largest seaport in France. Trivial Persuit anyone?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

"The world is not only small, it is also ironic."

Discuss.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Largest in area or population? (Must be former since Paris, Cairo and London, to name but three, have bigger populations than GTA.)

And then, are you counting all area codes: 905, 416 etc?

If so, what is the biggest local dialling area ON A SINGLE AREA CODE?

The way things are going, whole countries will be on a single call rate, making them very big local dialling areas...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling