ML320 Brakes

On another post I wrote about ML Dunlop tire problems. On this post, I am wondering about the brake pads. My friend with the 2002 ML320 is going on his THIRD set of brake pads at 15,000 miles. While he does admit to driving almost all city (Pittsburgh hills) up-and-down driving, is it normal for the Benz Truck to go thru brake pads every 7500 miles? I owned Benzes for years but never the truck. Generally my "S" Class cars (S320...1999 then 1993 before that) went thru pads every 12,000 miles or so. Shouldn't the truck get at least that many miles on front pads?

Reply to
B. Newman

My wife's 2000 ML430 is using up brake pads quicker than I would expect, and the dealer says that is "normal". She has gone through two sets of rears (quite a surprise) and one set of fronts in 40k. And the brakes are noisy and prone to squeals when braking at low speed, even with new rotors! Dealer says there are many complaints yet no real cure.

regards,

Reply to
John McDonnell

I'm getting 25K-30K out of fronts and 30K-40K out of rears. One set of rotors per two sets of pads. This is in somewhat hilly terrain, 75% town/surbuban, 15% light trailer towing on highway.

5K is ridiculously short, but then I've seen some ridiculous driving habits that are pure hell on brakes.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Reply to
CruiseLurker

I drive in a lot of city traffic and I also drive very "spiritedly". My OEM brakes lasted about 20K miles. I used Rotex pads as the replacement and while they are still a little noisy, I have no brake dust on the wheels and the truck seems to stop more quickly now. The OEM pads seem to be a bit soft. I'd recommend trying an aftermarket pad.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

The dealer is a bit "abnormal" as he says "that is normal". Usually two sets of front and one set of rear is so call "normal".

If your wife did not do hand brake turn (4WD???) all the time or tow a boat all the time, your ML must have a brake problem.

Complaint accepted, everything remains the same (or will sort it out in the very near future )-- the golden rule of handling customers' complaints

Keith Beast E14 4NS Docklands

"John McDonnell" news:0ixhb.171305$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net ...

My 1999 ML320 goes about 25K for each set of front pads. Just put 3rd set on at 79K along with new rotors. Rears done once at about 50K.

Original tires lasted 35-40K (not Dunlops). Now have Michelin Cross Terrains. Plenty of tread left with 40K on them.

John in Georgia

Reply to
John Pollock