Oile lamp

Hello I am the happy owner of a MB W124 300TD turbo 1990 with 300.000 km (18750 miles) on the clock.

Today when running full speed 190 km/h (115 MPH) the oil level lamp was flashing 3-4 times, but only for a sec.

I have just checked the oil level, and it was at the max. mark.

What can be wrong ??

Regards

Heine Holten Denmark

Reply to
Holten

No doubt quite alarming when driving at that speed. It could be that at such a high engine speed the oil apparent to the sensor level is a bit low, perhaps due to the amount of oil being pumped up to the cam etc. . Oil needs a moment to drain back down to the sump.

Be sure the oil is not overfilled - above the top mark - for overfilling raises the level to the point when the spinning crankshaft hits the oil and that causes it to foam and be aerated with small bubbles.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

"T.G. Lambach" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@NoHamOrSpamcomcast.net...

Ok an thanks. Can the outsidetemp has anything to say, the temp. was - 5 deg. and I use

10W40 oil ?

Regards

Heine Holten

Reply to
Holten

Not if the engine's 80 degree C. thermostat is working correctly.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

"T.G. Lambach" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@NoHamOrSpamcomcast.net...

ok, just checked the olilevel, and it is aobut 1,5 cm over topmark. I think there is 0,75 L to much oil in the energine, can that really cause the trouble ?

I will take 1 L oil out later today.

Regards

Heine Holten

Reply to
Holten

I have the same model at almost the same mileage and drive it often at that speed too :)

However, usually after draining the oil for oil-change I refill the engine with 7.0 L oil instead of the 7.5 L suggested by the manual. This brings the oil level between the MIN and MAX marks, which IMHO is better than to fill it to the MAX. I use a synthetic 0W40.

Reply to
Dimitar