Oil for enegine

Hello MB freks.

I have a W124 300 TD Turbo diesel from 1991 with 300.000 km on the "clock"

The last two weeks a noice is coming fra the valves when running idle warm or cold enegine.

I have only had the car half a Year, and only changed the oil once. I use Shell 10W40. Is it possible to remove the noise with another oli fx. 0W30 or 0W40 ?? Is it normally to maybe change the valvelifters already at this km-stand ?

Hope to have som help ;-))

regards

Holten Denmark

Reply to
Holten

The thinner the oil the nosier the engine will be. I would NOT put 0-30 or 0-40 in any engine that has gone 300,000 km, or even one km. No reason to use 0-XX oil. See:

Suggest you have the timing chain checked for wear and chain stretch before the chain breaks and damages the engine.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach