Opinions on 60's vintage SLs ~

All -

I would very much appreciate any opinions on the 1960's vintage Mercedes-Benz SL Series. I find myself quite attracted to that particular Model of MB; I recall seeing a few around here in the Detroit Suburbs during the Summer Seasons, and appreciate their styling and almost "timeless" appearances, even 40 years later.

Currently, I own a '74 240D and a '66 Porsche 912; neither of which are perfect in condition, but then again can be (and are) driven regularly in decent, summertime weather. The right SL may replace both of my current toys. While the 240D is really a great and durable car (even with somewhat anemic non-turbo performance), I might wish to investigate the Sports Car lineup that MB offered around the same time that my 912 was built (1966). The mechanic that assists me on 240D endeavors that are beyond my scope advised that prices can be quite high for SLs, even in "daily-driven" or "restorable" condition, and he also provided reference several points mentioned below. I took a look through eBay Motors yesterday, and noted price ranges from 6k - 120k for various years of SL models from 1959 through

1969.

As I understand, the inline sixes that were used in the 60's SLs were pretty decent engines; both in longevity and performance. I was cautioned to stay away from:

1) The four-cylinder models. 2) The Automatic Trans-equipped models.

I also understand that the sixties models were ALL equipped with mechanical fuel injection (which was also of good quality and longevity). I was also informed that ALL SLs came through with both the removable hardtops and convertible tops. Thoughts/comments/opinions on these topics would be much appreciated!

Again, I currently have a 912; which I found to be a very FUN car and O.K., an Attention-Getter type of toy car. I'd like to investigate a slightly more refined German Sports Car of similar vintage, and let's face it; actually being able to HEAR one's radio at freeway speeds would be a bonus! (that BURSCH Exhaust System!) However, in the technical knowledge arena, it does not seem to be heavily supported in the Porsche Clubs. I suppose some of that could be attributed to the fact of the relatively short lifespan of that particular model; therefore, there are not nearly as many 912s left around from the sixties as there are early 911s, and that the car is "just a four-cylinder" model, versus the 911. Additionally, there seems to be only a select few retailers that carry correct restoration pieces for early 912s. Is it likely that I'd be in a similar boat with an early SL, (both in parts and knowledge obtainment) or is there more suppliers and more of a "following" available for these cars?

Thanks very much in advance for anyone's advice - it's appreciated!

- Bill Schmidt

Reply to
Bill Schmidt

Mercedes chassis 113 ..230/250/280SL..1964-1971

I have a couple going on 35 years. preferred models are Euro versions

Here is a site I belong to and write on the Tech Forum.

A Dalton Benz Tech/Collector

Reply to
AJDalton7

Thanks very much for your response, AJ - I'll check into the 113 Site Forum you provided below.

Thanks again,

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Schmidt