Prolonged Idle Causes Hard Miss

My 1991 300SE has 125,000 miles on it, and uses about 2 quarts of oil per 1,000 miles. When I get stuck in traffic and have extended idle time (10 minutes will do it), the engine develops a hard miss that will not go away, even at highway speeds.

When the car sits overnight, it is usually fine the next day. Letting it sit for 3 or 4 hours doesn't help.

I supposedly had the valve guides replaced at 90,000, but considering the current oil consumption, it may have been done on paper only. Can worn valve guides cause this type of problem? Any other guesses?

Thanks,

Jim in Norfolk

Reply to
JAWs

Two quarts of oil per 1K miles on an engine that's gone only 125K miles is awful! There's something wrong, probably a large leak.

The symptom of valve guide seal wear is a puff of blue smoke after a few minutes of idling.

I believe your engine has a heat related electrical failure. Something related to one cylinder - a spark plug, an ignition wire, distributor cap, possibly a fuel injector.

Hope this helps you solve it and get that oil use fixed.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Check the spark plugs to see which one fouled out.

Reply to
Tiger