Re: 1994 E420 Battery in Trunk Rattles

Hi Tim,

To prolong the life of the battery, you need to find a way to secure it because excessive vibration will cause the active materials on the pates to flake off more rapidly. You might try some non-skid floor treatment under the battery and retighten the hold down brackets. The battery should not get hot enough to cause a problem with the form unless there is a dead short or a charging system malfuction.

Kindest regards,

BiLL.......

I have a 1994 E420 with the battery in the trunk. No matter how tight the >strap is the battery still moves from side to side. I have put some foam >padding on each side to prevent the battery from moving and hitting the >sides. Does the battery ever get hot and if so will it melt/burn the foam >padding? > >Is ther a risk in doing this? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Reply to
Bill Darden

Is the battery the right size? And are the straps and thingies the right size or were they substituted by some prior owner? I had one of these woebegotten things and the only problem it did not have was a loose battery.

mcbrue suggestively under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE

There's something wrong. If you open the trunk and look to the base area of the battery, shouldn't there be a couple of sliding bars that bolt to the battery's base? My cars have those. At first glance it looks like it's unsecured; but in looking down, there is a thin strip of metal that clamps against the base of the battery, then gets tightened down with a few bolts. Maybe it's loose; maybe it's missing?

Reply to
Rugbyguy