Re: Is There Such Thing As A Life Expectancy for Mercedes engines?

I have a 97 E420 sport. Just wondering if there is any data on

> engine life expectancy assuming its well maintained?

It really depends on many factors. But somewhere between 200-300k miles between rebuilds seems about right. A rebuild costs about $2000 so most people scrap the car when it needs one.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

A rebuild costs about $2000 so most people scrap the car when it needs one. ___________________________________________ I don't think you could even come close to getting a good rebuild for $2000.....probably nearer to $4K plus. But if you take care of your car....and change the oil regularly and service the transmission and rear end at the factory intervals and change your timing chain/rails, etc every

100K miles your car should last at least 350K miles and probably many more. The drive trains on all MBs are built tough. Most of the service problems on late model cars are will all the toys (AC/alarms/remote controls/climate controls,emission equipment/etc.)
Reply to
Rockman59

heh. In Texas A/C is hardly a toy.

controls/climate

Reply to
goop

Gas engines last over 300k miles, diesels last over 400k miles. P.

Reply to
pkmaven