removing 108/109 series dashpad

What is involved in removing the dashpad from one of these cars? This does not appear to be covered in the manuals. I've gotten conflicting information on whats involved. Local shop says it would take them a whole day to remove/replace, and "not to try it at home," while I've heard from others that you undo the screws and it just slides out (I already have the wood piece off). Does the instrument cluster need to be removed? Time and cost considerations will make the diffrence between living with a repair of a crack in the dash, or trying to replace it.

Dave Greenburg '73 300SEL 4.5

Reply to
Dave

The easiest way to repair a dash is to use Leatherique crack filler to which you've added Leatherique dye to match the color. It's a 10 minute job then.

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work

I am actually in the process of using the Leatherique crack filler now, and I must say it seems like it may do the trick, although it looks like it will take several "coats" of crack filler to get it level. It shrinks when it dries, so I need to build it up. And the Leatherique dye is amazing. I've tried it on a spare piece of trim, and the color match is perfect. I was just asking about dash removal because I have a chance to buy an uncracked dash that would need to be dyed in case the Leatherique repair doesn't work out.

- Dave Greenburg

Reply to
Dave