Re: 63 Chrysler 300 Prestolite Distributor Help

Probably not correct. The Prestolite distributors had the Chrysler

*assembly* number on a small aluminum tag held to the distributor by one of the breaker plate/cap clip mounting screws. The 2098 indicates an electrical system related part, but I suspect your 2098313 may be a casting number for the distributor body/housing itself.

How 'bout a tach, has it got that?

Tach was never *in* the instrument cluster on these.

Remember, what is a special limited-production car from today's perspective was just a big old gas guzzler with no value in '73 and again in '79.

Would need to know more about the manner in which this info was obtained

-- there are lots of ways to get incorrect part numbers and relatively few to get good ones.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

That's where I retrieved the number...From the aluminum tag held by the mounting screws...It had been covered in paint, but scraping it clean revealed the #2098313.

No, no tach and no tach cable. Not that it means there never was one.

Where would it have been? On the steering column or dash mounted? Couldn't be in the console either, because the non pacesetter convertible doesn't have a floor console, that I'm aware of.

True. I suppose it could have been an early swap that survived all these years.

From a Mopar Parts book, I believe. I did call up MARS parts in NY, and gave them the distributor #2098313 and they called back and said that the #2084868 vacuum control was the right one for that one too, so I ordered one...We'll see in a few days. Just an FYI, partsvoice.com listed a supplier for the distributor 2098313 but not the 2098495. Don't know if that means anything or not.

Is there a good online source for Mopar Part #'s, or do I need to hunt down a parts book for that year? I've used the Imperial website for the service manual until I was able to buy one on E-bay, but the parts book on the Imperial site is strictly Imperial and doesn't include Chrysler, like the service manual.

Reply to
RM

||> Probably not correct. The Prestolite distributors had the Chrysler ||> *assembly* number on a small aluminum tag held to the distributor by one ||> of the breaker plate/cap clip mounting screws. The 2098 indicates an ||> electrical system related part, but I suspect your 2098313 may be a ||> casting number for the distributor body/housing itself. || ||That's where I retrieved the number...From the aluminum tag held by the ||mounting screws...It had been covered in paint, but scraping it clean ||revealed the #2098313. || ||>

||> How 'bout a tach, has it got that? || ||No, no tach and no tach cable. Not that it means there never was one. || ||>

||> Tach was never *in* the instrument cluster on these. || ||Where would it have been? On the steering column or dash mounted? Couldn't ||be in the console either, because the non pacesetter convertible doesn't ||have a floor console, that I'm aware of. || ||>

||> Remember, what is a special limited-production car from today's ||> perspective was just a big old gas guzzler with no value in '73 and again ||> in '79. || || ||True. I suppose it could have been an early swap that survived all these ||years. || ||>

||> Would need to know more about the manner in which this info was obtained ||> -- there are lots of ways to get incorrect part numbers and relatively few ||> to get good ones. || ||From a Mopar Parts book, I believe. I did call up MARS parts in NY, and ||gave them the distributor #2098313 and they called back and said that the ||#2084868 vacuum control was the right one for that one too, so I ordered ||one...We'll see in a few days. Just an FYI, partsvoice.com listed a ||supplier for the distributor 2098313 but not the 2098495. Don't know if ||that means anything or not. || ||Is there a good online source for Mopar Part #'s, or do I need to hunt down ||a parts book for that year? I've used the Imperial website for the service ||manual until I was able to buy one on E-bay, but the parts book on the ||Imperial site is strictly Imperial and doesn't include Chrysler, like the ||service manual. || ||

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B