Thoughts from the group on new S-500

Hello to the group:

I'm thinking of moving from an '00 E-320 to an S-500. While the car will be an '05, I'm wondering what thoughts, problems, etc. ones might have with that auto in, say '03-04 model. I realize that most here probably have "handmade" MB's, but I'm looking for real world thoughts on the S, not some PR release, as found on most Web sites.

Any Pros/Cons?

TIA Hunt

Reply to
Hunt

You should search and read the older messages here.

In general, to summarize, the current S-500 is too small, overpriced and of poor build quality.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

It of course depends on ones expectations - e.g for a country like Germany the car is not too small, but I, too, think it is overpriced and IMHO the build is not _poor_, but certainly not up to MBs self-acclaimed standards and also not up to the price.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

As already mentioned:

- High price - here in Germany with an S 500 L you easily come close to 100.000 Euro (incl. 16 percent VAT)

- Not as roomy inseide as one (ok, I) would expect

- Build quality not up to MBs self-acclaimed standards Next year the successor W221 will be presented (at the IAA Motor Show in Frankfurt, Germany,; sale in Germany will start in October)- in case you want to buy new I would wait for the new model: In case you like it more buy it - in case not, buy the then old model with a hefty price reduction.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Well the S Klass Karz are certainly too small now. They strap on you like a roller skate. And they have lost the separate look in the guages and switch positions - look like a good Japan Car and switches moved to the doors so they get wet in the rain now like all the other dumb cars. And they really can't go past the stealership without needing some work done to keep them running. And the stealership wants an incredible amount of money to fix it. Costs about 50 cents per mile to keep one of these things repaired and running. The Lexus keeps getting bigger. It is sure more reliable. If you get a Lexus 430 set up liike the S500 it will cost around $70,000. Which is a lot cheaper than the S500 I think. Check out the Lexus. I am going to try to wait to see what the new S Klass looks like, but not sure I can afford to keep my present junk heap running. The kops keep following me and trying to ticket me for the parts falling off the thing. But I got sum gud ole boys in tha bak whut iz partyin on an them gives tha kops a snort or two so them ole kops don't give no green stamps to me for tha parts fallin off.

mcbrue helpingly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420 (127400 miles)
Reply to
MCBRUE

Thanks to you, to the other respondents. While I favor the older S's, my wife is the main driver of the MB - I've got a "truck." I tried to get her into the previous model S (not just previous year), but she really liked the size of the E. One feature for her, in the newer style S is its smaller size, compared to the elegant models previous. She is strongly considering the Lexus, BMW and even Jaguar. One plus is that the "stealership" (I like that word, as there is a major ring of truth in it) is only 3 blocks from her office, while the other dealerships are in the 'burbs.

Other than: brake pads every 5-8K, two rear windows that un-hitched from the mechanics, a rattle in the sunroof, when closed, and a vent fan that begat lighting problems in the control pod, her E-320 has been very good and her lease is up in a few months.

I've talked to several co-workers who have owned the newer S, and most have had small problems. Several have opted for BMW's, however just as many who owned BMW's have jumped to MB, as their cars were always in the shop. Lexus seems to get the better report card. Too bad they are so far away from the office.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Hunt

Reply to
Hunt

Come on, is your car really that bad? :-)

cp

Reply to
cp

Nah! It's not that bad! Most of the bad stuff has fallen off already. The new parts are stuck on real good with the most effective glue there is.... lots of money!!

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Central Florida

:-)