Timing Chain Replacemnt

1990 560 SEC

As a rule of thumb, how many hours labour should a shop charge for the replacement of a timing chain in this car?

And I don't mean the cheater method that basically just feeds the new chain in with the old, I'm talking full replacement with all the guides, the tensioner, etc etc.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Reply to
GM

I would say 10 hours. There are so many parts to take out!

Reply to
Tiger

I've seen it done much faster by breaking the master link and wiring the old chain to the new one and snaking it through. Probably not the elegant factory recommended method but it seems to have a lot of credence among the MB cognoscenti in this neck of the woods.

JD

Reply to
JD

Actually, according to the MB service manual for my 116 300SD, cutting the old chain, connecting new one to it, then feeding it around is the correct replacement method. Also included is removal/inspection/ replacement of the tensioner, guide rails, etc. I think what GM may have meant was that the job should include more than just changing the chain, which I agree. MB manual says that if an overhaul is being done, then an original type timing chain which is not split should be used.

Reply to
trader4

Yes, the two hours job. That is what I would do if it was me. Mbcoupes.com has excellent hints on how to do this with one person... usually it takes two... but his way eliminates error.

Reply to
Tiger