Re: Timing Chain for 97 900SE

That's very quick!! I had a saab 900S 2.3L from 1996 with 190000 km. I switched the 10w40 oil every 10000 km's. My garagist said to me that I had to replace my balanceshaft chains and tensioners etc. Also he told me to replace my timing chain and stuff. My brother in law (a good non saab mechanic) did the repair because the saab delaer was to expensive. When my brother in law took al the stuff out of the engine all was in very good condition. Only a new tensioner for the timing chain would have been sufficient (that is something you can do yourself if you are a little handy). My advice is get a second opinion. When they also say that your timing chain needs replacement, then first replace your tensioner. I am sure that the sound of your timing chain will be gone. Adios, Robert

Over the past 2 months my 900 has made a slight humming noise when > idling. A trip to the Saab mechanics (whom I trust) has revealed that my > timing chain is beginning to show some wear. > > Questions: > > - Is timing chain wear normal at the 62K mark? > - If so -- how safe is it to drive(and for how long?) Int'l Motors in > Falls Church, VA is saying that it will cost thousands to replace once > the time comes. Is it worth it? And should I do it now or later? > > Thanks... > >
Reply to
Rob Bloemendaal