Transmission 1990 560 SEC

Until my car is fully warmed up to operating temperature the transmission shifts a little funny. Shifts are delayed...and then a little harsh. Once car is warm it shifts pretty much when you would expect...but still a bit on the harsh side. Is this adjustable? If so how?

PS. I had a full flush, with new fluid and filter done in the fall before I put the car away for the winter...so I don't supect fluid. Also at that time the mechanic told me that the transmission looked to be in excellent condition.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
GM

Transmission up shifts ARE delayed before the motor is warm specifically to force a faster warm-up and so, lower emissions. These old, all hydraulic transmissions DO shift a bit harshly while cold vs. contemporary electronic transmissions that are linked to the motor's control unit which then retards ignition at the time of shift to depower the motor and so create a soft shift. 1980s mechanics vs. 2000s electronics.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

I would still check the fluid level... maybe you had a small leak

Reply to
Tiger

Thank you for your responses I did recheck the fluid level, and it is fine.

Back to my original question....is there any adjustment possible in both the shift points, and the harshness of the shift? If so how is it done?

Reply to
GM

GM, why do you assume there is a problem? Possibly the upshift delay is on purpose when cold.... hey, it's a Benz :-)

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Yes, there is adjustment for shift points and harshness...

Harshness is adjusted at the vacuum modulator... round thing on driver side of the tranny... Counterclockwise soften the shift.... turn only 1/4 turn at a time.

Point of shift when engine is hot is adjusted at the back of the fuel distributor... there is a bar linkage with two screws on the top... by shortenening the bar, you raise the shifting point... shift point at moderate acceleration should be around 2300RPM.

Cold upshift cannot be adjusted...this is electronically controlled.

Reply to
Tiger