W123 230CE

Hi! My first question is: is there anyone form Poland here?? Second: I have an opportunity to buy a W123 230CE (1983) for 8000pln (about

2000euro), it is meant to be in very good condition. It has a new automatic gearbox (replaced due to destroying old one by puting the R-gear while driving forward), and alot of extras - full option! Is it worth do be bought?? Greetings Kamil (POLAND - Kraków)
Reply to
Kamil Broniowski

"Kamil Broniowski" haute in die Tasten:

In Germany the 123C is becoming kind of a new classic. If the car really is in very good condition, then I would consider it worth buying for this price. I would very closely examine this car for any signs of rust at the body (if there are chrome stripes around the wheel-houses, the fenders probably have rust and the chrome parts just cover them). Other sources of trouble are worn-out valve seals (blue smoke when you accelerate and take the foot away from the pedal). The power steering may be worn out, this can be adjusted once, the next time you need a new power steering. Check carefully the vacuum system, which is responsible for the door locks, the headlight level, the correct shifting of the auto gearbox and the release of the front seats when the door is open. My 123 limousine also had troubles with worn out engine mounts and worn out suspension parts, and the drivers seat was worn out.

It depends what you want to do with the car. If you want to keep it as a real classic, you should consider buying the best 123C available, because the market value is too small to put much money in a lesser car. If you think, for 2000 Euros it is enough if this car does its job for the next two years, then things may look different.

A W123C in very good condition does cost substantially more than 2000 Euros in Germany, so I doubt the car you are talking about is in good condition.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper