W124 300D Motor stop is not working properly

Just joined this forum.

I'm the owner of a 1990 W124 300 Diesel. The last 15 years the car did an outstanding job. It never failed and maintenance costs were surprisingly low! Recently problems started with stopping the motor. After turning the ignition key in the off position the motor is still running for a few more seconds. The time the motor is running despite turning the key in the off position becomes every day a little bit longer. I'm afraid that the moment is near that the motor won't stop at all.

It would be great if somebody could advise me how to solve this problem!

Ron Veraart The Netherlands

Reply to
rgmveraart

Hi Ron,

AFAIK, the MB Diesels have a fuel valve that is controlled by a vacuum hose that runs to the ignition lock. The problem could be with the valve, the hose, the ignition lock or the vacuum in general. I think the valve that shuts down the fuel supply is the most likely candidate.

You'll get lots of advice here. In fact, I'm sure someone will correct my post any time now. I (also Dutch) have a 250D but I've never had any vacuum problems yet. Fingers crossed.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Classic symptom of either a vacuum leak or failing shut down device (vacuum powered bellows on the old cars, I suspect the same on your model). Vacuum leak in old cars is often in door locks - sufficient to prevent engine shut down - may also be so in your model IF it uses a vacuum powered central (door) locking system.

There's probably a STOP lever on the engine's throttle linkage that you'll soon need to use so take a look for it now rather than some dark night.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I think this is OM603 motor, and the door locks are not controlled by the same vacuum.

On top of the injection pump, there is a round "bell" (sort like a smaller bike bell). It has a vacuum tube attached. Disconnect the tube. Use a vacuum pump to draw air from the "bell". It should hold vacuum for at least 30 seconds. If not (most likely), this fuel shutoff diaphragm needs replacing.

If the diaphragm works f> Just joined this forum.

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

Many thanks for your help!

I did check the vacuum of "the bell" and it didn't last for 30 seconds at all. After approximately 3 - 5 seconds the vacuum was gone. So accordingly your advise it must be the diaphragm. Is it possible to replace this diaphragm only or do I have to replace the complete "bell"? Although I do normally all the maintenance and repair myself I'm a little bit worried about the question if I can replace the diaphragm or the complete "bell" myself. I know the fuel pump is a complicate device and if I ruin it by trying to replace this item it will be a very expensive repair by the garage!

Has anybody experience or knowledge replacing these items?

Reply to
rgmveraart

Sure. you replace the while thing, which is cheao. It comes off with two bolts and should take you maybe 15-30 minutes to do it.

It can be a bit of a bugger to put it back on, but everybody maages to do just that after cussing for about 10 minutes.

You can't ruin the injection pump by doing this (unless you let sand get in it while the bell is off. Rather unlkely to happen)

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Richard, thanks for your advise, next weekend I will give it a try and let you know the result,

regards, Ron

Reply to
rgmveraart