bizaar behaviour after removing the stop solenoid from peugeot 204 diesel

Whilst trying to solve a problem with power loss/irregular idle on my Peugeot 205 diesel I thought perhaps the stop solenoid was partially closing restricting the fuel supply. I removed the little plunger from the solenoid and then re-fitted the solenoid. There was no improvement regarding power loss/irregular idle so I decided the solenoid was not at fault. Unfortunately when I removed the plunger a little spring pinged out never to be seen again, I thought rather optimistically that it might only be to prevent the plunger sticking, so reinstalled the plunger without said spring.

I started the engine - no problems, then turned off the key to stop the engine - it kept on running. I suppose this means that the spring helps to return the plunger to the closed position. I opened the bonnet and pushed the stop lever on the fuel pump, but to my surprise nothing happened, the engine just kept on running. I kept it pushed into the stop position for quite a while but still the engine kept running.

I got back in the car and decided to take for a quick drive up and down the road forgetting that the keys were in the off position, as I put the car in reverse the engine stalled. I started the engine again, turned ignition off (engine still running) and tried putting it in reverse again, just as the gears are meshing the engine stalls - as if I were turning the ignition off. It works every time without fail although I can't think why. Could it be to do with a voltage drop when the reverse lights come on perhaps? I'm going out to see if turning the headlamps on stops the engine and will post the results.

I'll just have to find that spring I suppose, but I am quite concerned that the stop lever on the fuel pump doesn't stop the engine any more, it was working fine immediately before I removed the solenoid for the first time.

I hope there are some people on this list who have more experience with this than I do and can shed some light on the situation for me.

Regards Philip K

Reply to
Philip Koritsas