W124 300TDT 1991 Cylinder Head Gasket

I own this "fine" car, but maybe the gasket is leaking. Is that normal for only 300.000 km (187.000 miles) ??

What are "normal" time/km for the gasket ??

The hydralic valvelifters what are the lifetime for them ?

The Car normally has 147 HP, any ex. of raising ths to 160-170 HP by ekstra turbopressure and fuelpumppressure ?

Regards

Holten Denmark

Reply to
Holten

By the horsepower numbers, it looks like you have an OM603. Not sure about the gasket questions, but it looks like I may need a couple valvelifters at

179k here (getting that nice tappety tap noise).

As for power, the problem with these engines is not lack of fuel or turbo pressure, but temperature. You can lock the wastegate shut and do a quick run or two, and chances are you'll get no extra power from the 22+ psi. You can also turn the ALDA adjustment as rich as possible, but you won't see any gain here either. Doing both you might see a bit of zoom, but you'll be COOKING your valves. The only solution (it appears) is to get an intercooler, which can boost power to about 180hp. Mosselman Turbo of Holland makes a very nice bit of kit for european 300DTs:

Claimed power increase is around 178hp and 250ft/lbs with proper ALDA adjustment. The whole kit runs about $1400 and looks to be very desireable.

Still waiting on a US version that's compatible with the EGR and AVR mixing crap on our engines.

-Mike

87 300D/OM603 82 240GL/D24
Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak