96 Neon/Head Gasket

Hey, Any repair experts here?

I have a 96 neon that's been leaking for a while (170k km) from a cracked head gasket.

Worth replacing do you think? I'm getting quotes of like 700 cdn. bucks pre-tax, which is about all the cars worth anymore. The leak itself doesn't appear to be harming the engine, but the oil trail is a little embarassing :)

If i do get it replaced, is there some other parts i should get changed/repair as well at the same time? I read somewhere that changing the belts(normally $100 parts,$300+ labour ) would be a good idea as the engine would be ripped apart anyway, so the labour would be included above.

Isn't there any cheap alternatives like wrapping it in tin foil or something? :)

Also been told that the car might not drive the same as everything has to be put back perfect, or the car will bust. Expert Opinions?

Reply to
Jody

is it worth it is up to you to decide? but parts are cheap for a neon and they can go quite awhile i had over

360000kms on my 95 2 head gaskets. make sure you take it to a shop that has experience with neon head gaskets they can be tricky.

be sure the head is machined be sure they use the newer mls head gasket some old ones still out there avoid them

get timing belt changed at the same time consider replacing water pump as well

you leak sound like an external engine oil leak ...that is the preference to have considering you could have had oil into coolant and coolant into cylinder you can try with no guarantee it will work block seal but i have my doubts you can by at can tire.

Reply to
wraithyjeep

Never ask whether a "repair costs more than the car is worth." Ask "can I get a REPLACEMENT car for the same or less as this repair," and then ask yourself what kind of junk heap you could buy for $700 CDN.

Fix the gasket if the rest of the car is in good shape- a head gasket isn't a major repair. Probably time for a timing belt also, and you might as well do it while you're in there.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for the replies(both this and prev poster)! jody

Reply to
Jody

The Neon 2.0 is pretty good for leaking oil externally from the head gasket. It does not cause as much damage over time to drive a car in this condition as it does to drive one with a HG leaking coolant (especially internally). You will probably find that the repair cost total with addons like Tbelt and waterpump will be much less than the average used car in better shape. Keep in mind though, the Neon will nickel and dime you hard in the next few years. At least the transaxle is pretty stout, and I think the engine lower end is OK. It may be best to drive it until it falls apart and save for a newer ride.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish