Wagon SD conversion

What I really want is an 85 wagon. What I have available is an 80 300 wagon body or a 79 240 body. I see all kinds of 83-85 SD sedans that are cheap.How many of the parts interchange between the two models? I assume that all parts exchange with the 300D is this correct?. Thanks,Adysthemic

Reply to
Adysthemic

Thanks Karl that info was just what I was seeking. Let me clarify. My wife has an 83 300sd . Most reliable car we have ever had. What I wanted to know was, are the drive trains of the 300D/SD the same. I.E. if I found a worthy wagon,(thanks I'm now looking for 83 up), that if I purchased a 300D donor or an SD donor would most of the drive train parts of either fit the wagon? tnx

Reply to
Adysthemic

Do you want to make a turbo wagon? Not sure what you mean by SD.

A SD is a 116, 126, or 140 turbo sedan.

A 123 turbo sedan is a 300 DT. A 123 turbo wagon is a 300 TDT.

A 1980 300 wagon has a horrible climate control system using a servo and amplifier. Sure, you can swap the whole drive train from a 83-85 donor [make sure you get the transmission to go with that turbo engine!] but the ACC system will still SUCK.

Reply to
Karl

Are you looking for a 83-85 300 TDT? Or are you looking for a 83-85 300 DT as a donor to build a turbo wagon? If you are looking for a 300 TDT, don't forget the 81. They were turbo powered one year before the sedans and coupes in 82. But the 83 yr model, in the USA, came with standard features that 82 and back either did not have or were an option. Standard for 83 was: lighted vanity mirrors in the visors, a larger front dome light, and a power right side mirror [previous was a dealer-installed manual mrror].

As far as the drive train between the DT / TDT [123 body] and the SD [126 body]. The engines were the same except for the engine number: 123 was

617.952 and 126 was 617.951. They will swap.

The transmissions are a different story because of the speedometers.

123 body uses a mechanical speedo driven by a cable off the tailshaft housing. 126 body uses an electronic speedo diven by a speed sensor on the tailshaft housing. For this reason, they are not swapable.

Reply to
Karl