DESPERATE for rear disc brake BACKING PLATE 99 Econoline SD

I am desperately trying to find a ____________________________________________________ 1999 Econoline Super Duty E350 rear disc brake BACKING PLATE
Ford has discontinued this part and it is unavailable from Ford!
DORMAN makes many aftermarket backing plates but not this particular one apparently. Their F350 SD plate looks close and might be modified to fit.
Problem is that the old backing plate rusted thru which causes the handbrake not to work and they won't put an inspection sticker on this otherwise perfectly serviceable vehicle if the handbrake doesn't work!
1. Do you know of ANY supplier who has this backing plate?
2. Do you know if ANY other backing plate (e.g. F-350 SD) is close enough so it can be modified to fit?
3. Can I fabricate one with my bare hands from scratch?
ANY advice or suggestion is welcome.
Please advise, george snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net
located Caqe Cod MA
At Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:35:42 -0400, George Hammond rearranged some electrons to write:

Have you tried your local junkyard? They are likely to have a used one.
On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 20:10:46 +0000 (UTC), David

Not possible. Much internet discussion about this... you have to pull the axle, rotor, and hub just to get the backing plate off,,,, and generally the plates are already rusted thru. The axles are woth $400 junk so nobody will take them apart. Meanwhile I discovered that the F-250, F-350 SD and Elconoline 350 SD all use the same identical parking brake shoes... which means the business end of the backing plates must be identical... except for possibly the mounting flange 4-bolt pattern... but redrilling the bolt holes may make it fit ! The F-series backisng plates are still being stamped out by Ford and are cheap on the aftermarket ($50/pair) whereas the Econoline 350 SD was discontinued years ago and is going for a whopping $650 OEM or $450 Aftermarket because of this. An example of sheer supply/demand price gouging! What I'm trying to find now is a PICTURE of the Econoline 350 SD backing plate so I can comparwe it with a picture of the F-350 SD backing plate. Any other ieas ? George
On Saturday, April 5, 2014 11:25:13 PM UTC-4, George Hammond wrote:

ask in Ford's official heavy duty truck forums....
gotta get in there n paint the plates
look thru here, intensively as going to the sites leads to more site information
http://goo.gl/6CVXkQ
and call Dorman...
Dorman or ? may have left yhe plate you need of the list following the correct tart No.
On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 17:10:55 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I Emailed DORMAN about it, they say the part is not available from them either. There message was as follows:
We do not offer the part for this application at this time.
Dormanproducts.com has our most up to date product specifications and support information.
Thank you,
Ryan S.
Dorman Customer Service
Dear DORMAN auto parts:
I have searched your websites throughly and cannot find:
A Left Rear backing plate for a disc brake 99 Econoline E350 Super Duty ________________________________________________________
Others have searched also and they can't find it.
Are you sure Dorman didn't inadvertently omit this part from its webpage?
Ford wants a wopping $748.68 for this twenty five dollar part which I refuse to pay since it is outrageous.
Dorman 924-224 or 924-212 ($60/pair) for an F350 S.D. look like it could be easily modified by redrilling the 4 bolt holes to fit the Econoline 350 Super Duty but before I do that I wanted to double check with you and confirm that Dorman doesn't make the actually correct replacement backing plate.
Please advise, .........and thanks a lot, George Hammond, Hyannis Cape Cod
NEXT FIND THE AXLE TYPE your 350 has under it then find the other Ford trucks with this axle, then those backing plate numbers.
I imagine there are salvage yards and axles with the plate where the axles are probably unused able but the plates are use able.
On the four hole vs 2 hole, the pressing maybe different. That would be my guess as the flange itself would be HD....and used on other Ford trucks say 1999-2005.
lug bolts on a E250 are larger than the 150...
Check all Ford truck from your model's time frame for the years applicable. Van's maybe 1999-2005...something like that.
I find $700 hard to swallow. Look again somewhere else near where these parts are made or assembled. our truck was made in Cleveland ? try Cleveland.
is your $700 part here somewhere ?
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y 99&m=Ford&mo=E-350 Econoline#Search
On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:45:14 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

$214.09 part 2211
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 20:13:02 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I can't locate "part 2211" on this website. IS THERE A PICTURE of the backing plate? A picture of this mysterious and unavailable item would be very helpful since I could compare it to thepicture of the F350 SD backing plate which is available for $60/pair and can be re-drilfled, I think !
click the diagram....press control and +....
or enter the number in the parts number box on the first page
211 0r 212 with the mount 2B636 ?
could be the originals weren't properly painted or prepped for paint.
I have a story...
friend had a 4x4 Ford truck...the 4WD computer went out.....parts man said bad news Dude...costs $1400..
expletive deleted said friend !
eyeyyeyhahhahahha said the parts man...
THERE'S TWO OF THEM !
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 20:13:02 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Na, na, na..... part 2211 is a backing plate for DRUM BRAKES not DISC BRAKES. You're not even in the correct ball park.
Hammond, get a grip. The info diagram is accessed from the top line disc brake E350...diagram shows disc brake equipment.
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:24:23 -0400, George Hammond

You missed cowboy. The above URL is a FORD PARTS WEBSITE.
An E350 backing plate WILL NOT fit an Econoline E350 Super Duty.
FORD told me the backing plate for the 99 Econoline350 Super Duty is a DISCONTINUED PART but they still have have a few available and gave me a written INVOICE QUOTE for (2) Part # XC2Z*2209*AB for $795.47 for two backing plates and brake shoes.
You gotta be kidding me.
On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:58:56 AM UTC-4, George Hammond wrote:

rd&mo=E-350 Econoline#Search

right SD or E ? who would know ? but the price is the same.
what is the difference ? well one is super and the other is not. Modificati on isn't the answer as both come in at the same price.
Hey, you wanted super, you got it.
Question was availability. Divide cost by truck's life in years. The truck wil last your lifetime if you maintain it.
are you now a member of the good buy no parts club ? not yet.
price. yeah, I see that as a mid '60's GT price level. ?....
at Ford's ethics level you need to absorb the idea some parts prices are el evated with a sellers' understanding of the market. One factor is who buys the limited parts stock ? people with $$$ to maintain the exisiting fleet s o all the other remaining parts have an ongoing market to the last bearing or to Joe Willy High School who'll unk his new parts for a used chicken coo p ?
cough it up.
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 06:13:55 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Na... NO WAY am I paying FORD $800 for $80 worth of parts.
This calls for a hi-tech solution.
My investigation shows that the backing plate for an F350-SD which is dirt cheap on the aftermarket (Dorman-$60/pair) will actually fit the Econoline350SuperDuty.... all you have to do is re-drill the 4 mounting bolt holes which is a piece of cake since the caliper mouning bracket can be used as a drill guide... you could do it accurate to a thousandth of an inch in a bench vice with a hand held half inch drill for chrissakes.
I discovered this when I realized the F350-SD and the Econ350-SD both take the same IDENTICAL parking brake shoes which means they must be identical except for the mounting bolt pattern.
So, all I gotta do is buy Dorman 924-224 or Dorman 924-212 which ever is appropriate for the Econo caliper position .......for $60......... and the $800 problem is solved.
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 06:13:55 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Na... NO WAY am I paying FORD $800 for $80 worth of parts.
This calls for a gorilla--tech solution.
My investigation shows that the backing plate for an F350-SD which is dirt cheap on the aftermarket (Dorman-$60/pair) will actually fit the Econoline350SuperDuty.... all you have to do is re-drill the 4 mounting bolt holes which is a piece of cake since the caliper mouning bracket can be used as a drill guide... you could do it accurate to a thousandth of an inch in a bench vice with a hand drill for chrissakes!
I discovered this when I realized the F350-SD and the Econ350-SD both take the SAME IDENTICAL parking brake shoes which means they must be identical except for the mounting flange bolt pattern.
So, all I gotta do is buy Dorman 924-224 or Dorman 924-212 which ever is appropriate for the Econo caliper position .......for $60......... and the $800 "impossible" problem is solved.
right....what's 10% ?
what would change from E to S at that point ? Ford attached a HD axle...did Ford attach 2 diferent HD axles ? Does not look cost effective. Enter Murphy...
brake shoes are not the factor...the flange/axle housing/bearing size/shaft size is the answer...brakes just stand outboard of your problem.
when I've stumbled on the problem I found the pressing was always different as extra holes and pressing complexity for strength surfaced.
try
https://www.google.com/#q=compare+Ford+E350+to+Ford+Econoline+Super+Duty
or similar also in Google Images.
figure getting the Dorman positioned to compare the stamping in the store to facilitate a give back...uh...bring a template off the disassembled S axle flange ?
Try a direct IMAGES search
http://goo.gl/oBKMyO
http://goo.gl/VqqjsO
My street vehicle is an E250 GT...
We park across the street .....the laptop/Mifi system is in the truck... From an upper income RV winter park. Noise from the park suggests the plates are basically dfferent.
On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:40:17 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXX
https://www.google.com/#q=FORD++rear+axles+TYPES+for++Ford+Econoline+vans