DESPERATE for rear disc brake BACKING PLATE 99 Econoline SD

I am desperately trying to find a ____________________________________________________

1999 Econoline Super Duty E350 rear disc brake BACKING PLATE ____________________________________________________

Ford has discontinued this part and it is unavailable from Ford!

DORMAN makes many aftermarket backing plates but not this particular one apparently. Their F350 SD plate looks close and might be modified to fit.

Problem is that the old backing plate rusted thru which causes the handbrake not to work and they won't put an inspection sticker on this otherwise perfectly serviceable vehicle if the handbrake doesn't work!

  1. Do you know of ANY supplier who has this backing plate?

  1. Do you know if ANY other backing plate (e.g. F-350 SD) is close enough so it can be modified to fit?

  2. Can I fabricate one with my bare hands from scratch?

ANY advice or suggestion is welcome.

Please advise, george snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

located Caqe Cod MA

Reply to
George Hammond

At Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:35:42 -0400, George Hammond rearranged some electrons to write:

Have you tried your local junkyard? They are likely to have a used one.

Reply to
David

Not possible. Much internet discussion about this... you have to pull the axle, rotor, and hub just to get the backing plate off,,,, and generally the plates are already rusted thru. The axles are woth $400 junk so nobody will take them apart. Meanwhile I discovered that the F-250, F-350 SD and Elconoline 350 SD all use the same identical parking brake shoes... which means the business end of the backing plates must be identical... except for possibly the mounting flange

4-bolt pattern... but redrilling the bolt holes may make it fit ! The F-series backisng plates are still being stamped out by Ford and are cheap on the aftermarket ($50/pair) whereas the Econoline 350 SD was discontinued years ago and is going for a whopping $650 OEM or $450 Aftermarket because of this. An example of sheer supply/demand price gouging! What I'm trying to find now is a PICTURE of the Econoline 350 SD backing plate so I can comparwe it with a picture of the F-350 SD backing plate. Any other ieas ? George
Reply to
George Hammond

ask in Ford's official heavy duty truck forums....

gotta get in there n paint the plates

look thru here, intensively as going to the sites leads to more site information

avagadro7

and call Dorman...

Dorman or ? may have left yhe plate you need of the list following the correct tart No.

Reply to
avagadro7

Trying to join forum now... slow going... there are thousands of posts.

Now you tell me...?

... seen this page and dozens of others long ago. The plate is not there. Emailed DORMAN about it, they say the part is not available from them either.

So far I think the F350 SD plate can be redrilled to fit the Econoline E350 SD either Dorman 924-224 or Dorman 924-212. this is based on the fact that they all use identically the same parking brake shoes... just the 4 bolt mounting pattern is slightly different.

Will see what the Ford Heavy Truck people say... although its mostly F-series trucks and not Econolines.

Thanks

Reply to
George Hammond

I Emailed DORMAN about it, they say the part is not available from them either. There message was as follows:

We do not offer the part for this application at this time.

Dormanproducts.com has our most up to date product specifications and support information.

Thank you,

Ryan S.

Dorman Customer Service

Dear DORMAN auto parts:

I have searched your websites throughly and cannot find:

A Left Rear backing plate for a disc brake 99 Econoline E350 Super Duty ________________________________________________________

Others have searched also and they can't find it.

Are you sure Dorman didn't inadvertently omit this part from its webpage?

Ford wants a wopping $748.68 for this twenty five dollar part which I refuse to pay since it is outrageous.

Dorman 924-224 or 924-212 ($60/pair) for an F350 S.D. look like it could be easily modified by redrilling the 4 bolt holes to fit the Econoline 350 Super Duty but before I do that I wanted to double check with you and confirm that Dorman doesn't make the actually correct replacement backing plate.

Please advise, .........and thanks a lot, George Hammond, Hyannis Cape Cod

Reply to
George Hammond

NEXT FIND THE AXLE TYPE your 350 has under it then find the other Ford trucks with this axle, then those backing plate numbers.

I imagine there are salvage yards and axles with the plate where the axles are probably unused able but the plates are use able.

On the four hole vs 2 hole, the pressing maybe different. That would be my guess as the flange itself would be HD....and used on other Ford trucks say 1999-2005.

lug bolts on a E250 are larger than the 150...

Check all Ford truck from your model's time frame for the years applicable. Van's maybe 1999-2005...something like that.

I find $700 hard to swallow. Look again somewhere else near where these parts are made or assembled. our truck was made in Cleveland ? try Cleveland.

Reply to
avagadro7

avagadro7

is your $700 part here somewhere ?

Econoline#Search

Reply to
avagadro7

Econoline#Search

Reply to
avagadro7

tap CHANGE VEHICLE

enter your VIN

develop the name of the part you're looking for exactly in Ford use age.

BTW, get a print out copy of the assembly from Ford parts at your Ford dealer. so you now what the name and number is right from Ford's catalog.

If the VIN search doesn't show the part then try your named model and year without the VIN.

ask the parts man for the other appropriate models

Reply to
avagadro7

$214.09 part 2211

Reply to
avagadro7

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

avagadro7

YUP DAZE DARE...2390 2B636 ? FIRST LINE...

$230 OR $350... FOR THE PLATE.....FOR THE MOUNT ???

lotta money for a piece of sheet metal.

I assume stampings are done in runs of 50 or so....time for setup divided by ???

Reply to
avagadro7

Hammond is on the charts

avagadro7

avagadro7

How would I find out the axle type?

Na... the axles are worth $400 junk and you have to pull the axle, rotor and hub to get the backing plate off... nobody will pull apart a $400 axle for a backing plate.

Na both the Es40 SD and the F350 SD have 4-hole backing plates and the pressings must be identical because they BOTH use the same identical parking brake shoes. This is what makes me think the only difference can be the 4-bolt pattern.

Nothing from a 150 will fit on a 350.... but I think the F350 and Econoline 350 are VERY similar except for the bolt pattern.

been there done that.

I've tried everything... Ford discontinued the part years ago but still has a few available (marked up by $700) for well heeled customers for whom money is no object.

Reply to
George Hammond

I can't even find backing plates on this website.

Reply to
George Hammond

I can't locate "part 2211" on this website. IS THERE A PICTURE of the backing plate? A picture of this mysterious and unavailable item would be very helpful since I could compare it to thepicture of the F350 SD backing plate which is available for $60/pair and can be re-drilfled, I think !

Reply to
George Hammond