Why is Battery Bracket corroding Now??

Greetings all,

Last month I changed out the original battery on my 95 S320. The battery compartment in the trunk was clean and no signs of corrosion anywhere. Today I looked into the battery compartment area and was surprsised to see the battery hold down bracket covered with white powdery corrosion.

Why now? What could have possibly changed? Both are lead acid and the original has been in there since 1995 without any sign of corrosion.

In addition to the curious "why", how could I prevent this?

Thanks to the group for your collective wisdom!!

Bob

Reply to
Bob

marlinspike

Did you replace it with a MB battery from the dealer or from Pep Boys?

Reply to
Karl

You can buy a premium priced sealed unit that will not off gas corrosives.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Did the original battery have a sealed top with an overflow tube leading 'overboard'? I _think_ mine (2001 E320 wagon, battery under the middle seat) has that setup, though I could be misremembering something else...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Reply to
marlin