Help required - tyres

I've got a 1972 MGB on 165x14 radials (which I believe were tubed)

The book (Haynes) recommends 20psi (front) and 24psi (rear). Inflating them to these settings they look awfully flat, is this correct/missprint?

Ta,

Mart

Reply to
Mart

Pretty much right.

MGB handbook recommends

Normal driving

21psi/24psi

Sustained high speed driving

27psi/30psi

I usually run at 25/28, makes the steering a bit easier at low speeds.

Ian F

Reply to
mgamgb

The tyre technology of the day has changed, so be aware that the 1970's recommended pressures are badly out of date now.

It is worth trying out different pressures within the capability of the tyre - a decent fitter (where you bought them) can advise what their tyres would be "normal" carrying.

Higher pressures tend to result in better MPG, lower tyre temperatures and a firm but reassuring ride. Soft tyres give a less informative (and thus softer) ride, wear out quicker, use more fuel, etc. They also give more compliance in suspension but since the springs and shocks and bushes are probably all rather saggy compared with new, you don't need extra compliance there anyway.

I saw a big improvement going from 20 / 24 to (I eventually settled on) 28 / 32 PSI, car handled so much better and although you could tell when there were potholes or bumps, the ride was less like being on a raft at sea, which was a good thing. Going further and swapping the old 13x6 inch wheels for 15x6 and much lower profile rubber increased this effect quite a lot, making the ride quite harsh but hey, it's a sport car, and the handling was so much crisper and connected to the controls.

This may not suit everyone, but do at least experiment, and see what the effect is so you know they suit you the way they are.

Reply to
Sales!

I run 24/26 psi and thats with 165-14 tyres that has changed from the older type tyres.

I now had to replace my tyres with 175/75 - 14 as the 165 -14 were too expensive and still run 24/26 or there abouts. But I will monitor tyre wear and alter to suit so the tread wears evenly across. Good to read the section on tyre wear edges wearing - under inflated , centre wear over inflated.

I do know that each brand of tyre has its own optimum pressure so it wears evenly.

Rm

Reply to
Rob