securing a pickup battery

i have no "fixings" for the battery, just wondered does it have a clamp usually, or does the drivers seat just butt up to it and "secure" it - will this pass an MOT or will i have to fabricate some sort of metal strap?

-Ps -i have the plastic tray that the battery sits on.

thanks RS

Reply to
RS

Just for your information battery security is not currently part of the MOT test, although it is one of the things currently being considered for future inclusion in the test.

Hope this helps.

Ben (passed my final MOT tester inspection yesterday!)

Reply to
Ben & Claire

How many MOT testers have you had to inspect?

IGMC erik.

Reply to
erik fishead

Here's a warning to you.

If the battery is not secured it will bounce around and a possible short may occur with the tray above the battery.

Secondly you should have a cover over the top to stop things from rolling onto the terminals of the battery.

(Both these items are shown in the parts catalogue)

Vans catch on fire through not having both these things in place.

From one who is well aware - and I'm not the only one.

Reply to
Rob

thanks for the info, i will make some sort of strap to hold it, and obviously cover the positive terminal.

RS

Reply to
RS

I would agree with Rob's advice,,, a few years ago my mate's mini cut out and would not start, so another friend jumped in an said ?? points ,,, off they went to buy some points and a condenser,, removed dizzy, fitted points, still wont start ,, checked for fuel,, tank empty,, off they went and borrowed a fuel can, filled it and returned , toped the mini up,, turned the key and after a few seconds, verroom, verroom, in disgust my friend threw the fuel can in the boot and drove off, the first bend caused the (Metal) fuel can to short on the top of his unprotected battery and it exploded, blowing out the rear lights and blowing the boot open, from then on I always cover the battery with either the correct cover or suitable protector, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

a life long fan of the pickup and van (haven't owned anything else since I was 17!) I was disturbed (ahem) by the large spark I got in my first van when I sat on the nice new bucket seats. Needless to say I wrapped that bugger up good :D I have also had a healthy fear of big as batteries ever since.

The Muffin Man

Reply to
The Muffin Man

Reply to