SPI running rough

My 1994 British Open Classic is running rough. Poor fuel mileage and lots of black exhaust smoke. It's had a tuneup with new plugs and wires etc. People suggest the O2 sensor.

Anything I should look at before getting a new O2 sensor. I'm located in the states so SPI service is hard to find if not impossible. Thanks for any help.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Air filter?

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Get a real car?

Reply to
Mad Max

Stop being somebody you are not?

Reply to
WR51

Sounds like a fuel problem, to much fuel can thin the oil and wash the cylinders causeing a black smoke problem

see how quick the plugs are fouling, pull some plugs see if they are washed and wet with gas, another way pull some plugs and run the motor with a white cloth over the hole you should have quit abit of gas mixed with oil.

Check the level in the pan and see if it is high as well gas will run down to the pan if the following is happening.

I had a simular problem with a CPI the regulator went bad on a non rebuildible BOSH CPI unit 550 dollars later it was fixed with one part the CPI corrected problem at once. It could have been more had I let the dealership put it in 550 was for the part alone, only thing that I replaced after that was the O2 sensor that was damage from all the live fuel that washed accross the O2 sensor and in to CAT damaging the unit. That was only 36 dollars and had it not been causing a check enginge light and seom fuel milage I would have left it. If you do replace the O2 sensor Put some High temp Never seize on it.

Here is another tip before attempting to remove the O2 Sensor get the engine nice and hot O2 sensors tend to be real hard to remove when cold.

The two metals being different will make it easier to remove when hot.

I had a guy at a shop ran remove the threads and all with the O2 Sensor with a 1/2 impact gun for tires and a impact socket, after I had asked him to heat the engine up. He knew to much and told me it would do it cold after that I had to tap the hole and put a heli seat to hold the new O2 Sensor

Reply to
Not here Not Now

Start being somebody....because your not.

Reply to
Madmax

I thought the Mini British Open Classic was launched in 1992? But okay I believe there was a later version produced for Germany too so I expect that's the model you have?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Oh and the 1992 model had a carburettor.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

There are a few late BOT's out there, and I think export models were differant and had a differant run time, exports might be carb as 1992/3 was a changeover period....?

Reply to
WR51

I think all Mini's went injection around 1994/95, but I know the 1275cc engine was adopted for all models from around late 1992.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Thats right, i made an error earlier, i meant to say that the export BOT might have been injection model....

Reply to
WR51

I do not know about the car he asked about I made a comparision. Since it has a carb he might have a float sinking or a stuck needle and seat. this would cause the same problem, As the CPI Unit caused for me.

A simple rebuild kit with a needle and float would correct this problem

If he replaces the O2 sensor and it does not correct the problem it will be the carb.

Reply to
Not here Not Now