Suspension cone assessment

Can anyone tell me if there any way of assessing the suspension rubber cones whilst they are off the car?

Is there some way of measuring the cones? (height of rubber perhaps?) or is the only way to check their condition to measure the ride height after they have been fitted?

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Pedro

If more than 10 years old replace them, there used to be a kit called the moulton smooth ride kit, included cones, not sure if its still available, replace your knuckles too, don't think there too expensive, later poor quality cones seem to fail early, ( probably the bmw quality control ) earlier ones fair better,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Do they (physically) look like cones or donuts? That is the main test. When they sag it is pretty obvious, they don't have any real point.

The Muffin Man

Reply to
The Muffin Man

Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery:

David Betts

better still fit a set of quality hi-lo's and ditch the cones all together...

I've also replaced my donuts with those spring units and they work fantastic on the rough back country roads of New Zealand.

Reply to
Tim

Ah Ive heard of these, what do they do to the handling of the car?

Any idea where you can get them from in the uk?

cheers

-anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Thanks all.

I'll take one of mine to a local spares shop and sit it along side a new one. They look conical to me but what do I know...

I read somwhere that some of the coil spring replacements may be made of mild cheese and there was a picture of a shattered coil spring on one of the news groups.

springs and was not impressed.

Sorry I can't recall the post or the news group but it put me off a bit.

Thanks again for the advice.

Peter

Reply to
Pedro

There was a picture posted in this forum but is seems to have "expired"

The thread is a good read if you're considering springs. I've been suspicious of the engineering from the start, especially since they were/are advertised as having a progressive characteristic. Hard to do in a single turn of steel rod.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher

I got mine fitted by Mini Spares in London on the way to the docks to put my Cooper into the container to bring her home. I like them personaly, smoother rideing than the mouton kit from Mini Sport. I took their demo car for a run and to be honest really didn't notice much difference.

I've got Coil Overs >> better still fit a set of quality hi-lo's and ditch the cones all >> together...

Reply to
Tim

Hey Tim what was the cost of transportation to NZ?

I like them personaly, smoother

Reply to
Rob

Look nice.

Jury is still out.

Pedro

Reply to
Tim

Thanks Tim we have a connection over there for the next 12 months at least and thinking about importation of a good example.

Reply to
Rob