2003 Montero...Im going Mad!

I bought a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited Sport. So I went to change the oil and oil filter and when I look i see the oil filter down way at the bottom. Sort of looks like its placed right near the axle. is this right? Most oil filters ive seen go directly on the engine? If anyone can scan in directons on how to change the oil and oil filter I would appreciate it and I can finally get some sleep.

tia AGP

Reply to
DIOS

ENGINE OIL FILTER SELECTION

This vehicle is equipped with a full-flow, throw-away oil filter.

The same type of filter is recommended as a replacement filter

for this vehicle. It is possible, particularly in cold weather, that

this vehicle may develop high oil pressure for a short duration.

Make sure that any replacement filter used on this vehicle is a

high-quality filter. The filter can withstand a pressure of 1,765

kPa (256 psi) [manufacturer's specifications] to avoid the filter

and engine damage. The following is a high-quality filter and is

strongly recommended for use on this vehicle: Mitsubishi

Engine Oil Filter Part number MD136790.

Any replacement oil filter should be installed in accordance with

the oil filter manufacturer's installation instructions.

  1. Remove the under cover.

  1. Drain the engine oil by removing the oil drain plug.

  2. Use an oil filter wrench to remove the engine oil filter.

  1. Clean the contacting surface of the filter bracket.

  2. Lubricate the O-ring of the new oil filter with a small amount

of new engine oil.

Reply to
lugs590

OK that basically tells me remove the old oil filter and put the new one in. I pretty much have that down. I just want to know where the oil filter is at and where the drain plug is at. The oil filter seems to be at an odd place.

AGP

Reply to
DIOS

Reply to
coryrhonda

Any scans of the place where its at. i find it hard to believe its where I think it is. Who was the bright engineer that came up with that concept?

AGP

Reply to
DIOS

Reply to
coryrhonda

Thast what I thought. So when you drain your oil and then remove the filter there will be some dripping on your axle since it points down.

AGP

Reply to
DIOS

Thanx. I appreciate it. Where do you get such good info?

AGP

Reply to
DIOS

Reply to
Trotter

I wish it were that easy. the manual does not have directions as to how to change the oil filter. Its directions are for changing the oil at various intervals and to change the oil filter along with it. So if you know where the TFM is at then let me know and I will read it.

AGP

Reply to
DIOS

Sorry to say this is right. to come off with out spilling some. You also will have to use a small cap oil filter wrench.

Reply to
rbooher7526

Reply to
coryrhonda