My first import

I recently got ahold of a 96 eclipse GST for free.. after towing it to my house i got the engine started finally.. to discover it has this god awful knock.. Now call me dumb but i know nothing about imports so please someone help.. what should i replace to stop the knocking or how can i tell what the knocking is from? its really loud and sounds like a rod ....

Reply to
Digitalsailor69

Pull the wire or fuel on a cylinder-by-cylinder basis. If it get's quieter, that will tell you it's a rod and which one. It will require a rebuild or new short block. That's not really that expensive. Of course, I can't hear the sound so it could just be a bad lifter.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Slowly bring the revs up to about 1800 or so. If its a rod bearing, usually the knock will stop at some point when the loads equalize, and a blip on the gas will make it audible again. A rod bearing has a more solid sound than a bad lifter (like hitting an anvil with a hammer, vs tapping the rocker cover with a bolt).

Next, take the cam cover off and the plugs out, and check of there's any really loose tappets as you rotate the engine. A failed lifter will usually be obvious. A cam lobe could be damaged or worn away.

A loud knock might also be a cracked piston. Aside from the knock, does the engine fire on all four? Its possible that the cam belt has jumped a tooth, and a piston is hitting a valve or valves.

In all cases, you will have to identify the problem and rectify it. If its a lifter, the cam has to come off. All the others mean the engine has to come out for a strip and rebuild.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

thnx guys ill start trying everything you all have suggested ill figure it out and get back to yall

Reply to
Digitalsailor69

join our little group:

the short version of things is that the motor it your gst stinks and is prone to failure but you can swap in the motor from a 1st. generation eclipse which is nearly bomb-proof. your cheapest, most effective fix is to bolt your parts on to a 1991 short block. the 7 bolt motor you have is next to worthless as a core and most rebuilders with any knowledge of dsm/mitsu will offer no warranty on the repair. join the group and we can help direct you if you choose to get the car running.

Reply to
simpleton