Spyder GT 2001 Gas

Hi All,

With the gas prices soaring so high, I thought of shifting to use 87 Octane instead of the premium 91 octane. I've read many sites and they suggest using regular gas instead of premium unless one is driving an expensive sports car.

I read in another site that unless the user's manual says "premium fuel only", one can use regular gas.

I wanted to know if I could use regular gas in a Spyder GT 2001.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers Raja

Reply to
Raja

I suggest you search google and read about the meaning of "petrol RON number", then after some further research you may come to the conclusion which I came to: [this is MY conclusion, it may be NOT correct] one need high RON fuels in sports (or any other high compression ratio) cars. The compression ratio in different cars varies between 7-9 to 14+, with age [of the engine] the compression ratio is falling bellow the original figure too. So, if you have a car with NOT very high compression ratio (bellow

10-12) you do not need high RON fuel at all. By the look at the web I would says your car's compression ratio was NOT higher then 10 (:1) when new, so you should be reasonably safe, but listen to pinging knocking sounds when you start using it...
Reply to
fast_cars_guy

Thanks for the info. I could see that most of the sites posted the compression ration as 9:1 but I did not find info on the type of fuel to be used for a 9:1 compression ratio cars. However, I aslo see that most of them mention the basic fuel at 91 octane and premium at 95/98. But the gas in US is 87 Octane for basic gas. I am confused 'cos if we can use basic (which is 91 for themj), then it is premium gas here.

Am I wrong?

Reply to
Raja

Read more about RON: the first link on google referred to two different RON (one was research - higher, the other was averaged), maybe the sites are using the first and your pumps are using the second. In any case basic and premium should refer to the same types irrespective...

Reply to
fast_cars_guy