WON'T CRANK OVER - 1980 Sigma (2600 Astron) - Australia

Would really appreciate some help from someone if you can please.

I've got a 1980 Mitsubishi Sigma, 2600 Astron - Automatic.

Car runs perfect except does not like starting in the mornings after been left over nite.

Here's the problem, yesterday I put in new plugs, set the timing (7 degrees), changed the oil and added some carby fuel cleaner to the petrol. Car ran perfectly, absolutely perfectly. In fact all you had to do was turn the key and in 2 seconds it was purring....

Got up this morning and the car will NOT crank over, it is a tired, tight sounding sort of crank. A bit like a flat battery??

Changed batteries from another car which i know is perfect - same thing!!

Played with the dizzy, (thought might be timing) didn't matter where I put it - same thing.... tight, hard to crank...

Pulled out all the plugs, should really crank easy now.... - no go, still tight!!!!!!

How can a car that was running superb, suddenly have these symptoms overnite????

Question: Someone told me that there could be a problem with the starter motor, apparently if there is a problem - the full 12 volts doesn't get to the starter and causes symptoms like these???

Anyone heard of this before??????

Would really apprecaite some advice..

Many thanks

John

Reply to
John

Check for loose or broken electrical conections. You may have dislodged somthing while working under the hood. Also try turning the engine by hand. It should turn fairly easily with the spark plugs removed. If you can't get it to turn, you'll be glad you found out before spending money on a starter. If it does turn, the sense of relief will make the price of a starter seem trivial :-)

Reply to
G. R. Woodring