Boost gauge

I'm in the mood for gettng a boost gauge for the 205, because in a sad way i'd reckon it'd be cool. I've found a guage that goes to 1bar for £25, which should be fine, but where's the best place to plumb them in to?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

on the MR2 in the engine compartment you can attach the vacuum tubing to one of the tubes coming off of the intake manifold. not sure if that helps as i think this is where the stock gauage on the MR2 turbo also goes?

try looking round that area maybe?

Reply to
Vamp

of the tubes coming off

stock gauage on the MR2

Vamp, that ain't going to help with his 2, it ain't got a turbo, you should know that.

Bug on the pug, yep, one of the vac hoses after the throttle body, but not any that control vac advance for the dizzy if it has one (not sure about diesels).

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Inlet manifold. There should be something running off it you can T into.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

You need to connect it to the inlet manifold - just T-Piece it onto one the lines that's already connected (MAP sensor etc.)

Reply to
Nom

Errrm its agricultural diesel, WTF is a MAP sensor? :) I'm not sure if theres anything coming off the manifold. Will have to investigate. A bit of reasearch last night told me that the BX TD (same engine with i/c) has an overboost switch which is just attached to a bit of tubing, so will look for that too.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

one of the tubes coming off

the stock gauage on the MR2

No spark = no dizzy. No throttle = no throttle body. No vaccuum = no vac hoses. Bloody diesels. And i cant find my parts CD with all the diagrams, so gonna have to go out in the cold :(

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

That wasnt too hard. There's a pipe running from the manifold to the diesel pump that is nice and accessible. I is a happy boy now!! Just gotta find somewhere to put it now

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

a map sensor is normally in place instead of a AFM (air flow meter) a map sensor is Manifold Absolute Pressure.

a variable resistor used to monitor the difference in pressure between the intake manifold at outside atmosphere. This information is used by the engine computer to monitor engine load (vacuum drops when the engine is under load or at wide open throttle). When the engine is under load, the computer may alter spark timing and the fuel mixture to improve performance and emissions.

damn i'm becoming a turbo nerd :(

Reply to
Vamp

sensor is Manifold

intake manifold at

monitor engine load (vacuum

engine is under load, the

performance and emissions.

I know what it is, but what i meant is that the 205 is an old mechanical diesel, and as susch has none of this modern nonsense!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hence the "etc."

Surely there's SOMETHING coming off the inlet manifold ? I've got three suitable pipes in the TI - but I used the blanked-off nipple that Rover helpfully fit instead :)

Reply to
Nom

Out of interest, what boost does the 1.7 Dt run? I think it should be about

0.7 bar? What are you getting? (intercooled units should be 1bar.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Havent got the gauge yet, but around 0.7bar would be about right i reckon. Its not just for show, i wanna know how healthy the turbo is (since it

120000 miles old), as it will be easy to replace when i do the headgasket. Also an intercooler conversion is planned so it will be interesting to compare the before and after results.
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

As i said luckily theres a pipe to the diesel pump which will do nicely.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

ok fine i know nothing about smelly diesels, i'll get me coat :)

Reply to
Vamp

After 122k you'll possibly find that boost has dropped off somewhat and doesnt build as fast as it should as the wastegate diaphragm spring will have gone soft. Some tweekage on the linkage, a bleed valve and or a new actuator wouldnt go amiss- esepcailly if you are doing the h/g or planning on an intercooler...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Hence why i want it, to check it works before i start doing stuff. IIRC i will have a KKK turbo, and everything is integral so it'll be easier to just pick up a cheap second hand one, and considering a turbo from just about any

90s PSA TD (and others) will fit it shouldnt be too difficult to get one!
Reply to
Carl Gibbs