hydraulic hand brakes

Do these hand brakes use the same hydraulic circuit as the brake pedal does? Isn't it dangerous that way because if there's a failure then you can't stop the car?

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Su

To be road legal the car must have a non-hydraulic parking brake. Hydraulic handbrakes are sometimes used on rally cars, in which case they do normally use the same hydraulic braking system as the foot brakes.

The danger of hydraulic brakes is not one of 'failure' as such (most car's handbrakes are utterly useless from the point of stopping the car), but that seals in hydraulic systems are imperfect and so over time the brake would release, which is potentially dangerous if the car was relying on it to stop it, say, rolling down a hill and squashing people.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

In article , snipped-for-privacy@durham.ac.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Brian is South African, so the law may be different over there.

I think a Hydraulic handbrake is legal in the UK, but it must be back with a mechanical one too.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Dunno about law, but for the SVA a hydraulic parking brake is OK but must be a complete seperate circuit to the main brakes.

Reply to
Tony Bond

In article , snipped-for-privacy@SPAMMENOTblueyonder.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

That would make sense. Needs some kind of mechanical lock too doesn't. I think even flyoffs can be used if they have somekind of mechanical lock too (even a removeable pin between the lever and the pivot frame can do).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Good point.

Yup, at least that is my understanding. You can even have trailing spigots dragging along the road, I think :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Yes that is correct - it must just be on a separate circuit. I think all after-market fly-off handbrakes are still lockable. The ones i've had experience with worked the opposite way to normal - you push the button in to lock it when pulled up, and lift it up to release. Simple but works well.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I am a Malaysian not african!

Reply to
Brian Su

In article , snipped-for-privacy@streamyx.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Sorry Brian, I mean't I thought you were in South Africa (when you have asked questions about carbed cars with Cat Converters, I'm sure you said you were in SA), not an African National

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Heheh nope I have never even been to africa :)

Reply to
Brian Su

Hello Brian.

18 Jan 04 01:58, you wrote to MeatballTurbo:

BS> Heheh nope I have never even been to africa :)

I have been in Malaysia, and I live in Russia :)

Sorry for beint O/T.

Sergey

... Planes don't kill people. The ground does.

Reply to
Sergey Vizgunov

Oooh can i add you to my list of Russian people i'd know? Well it'd be a list if you were on it cos according to EU legislation i need 2 for a list :)

-- Chet

Chet

Hello Chet.

18 Jan 04 01:57, you wrote to me:

C> Oooh can i add you to my list of Russian people i'd know? Well it'd be a C> list if you were on it cos according to EU legislation i need 2 for a list C> :)

Go ahead. What is the list for?

Sergey

... Mount your horses, men!" "We're not that lonely, sir!

Reply to
Sergey Vizgunov