Now something sensible...

Well... maybe not quite.

The Porsche 928 is going to Anaheim, Ca to get an engine upgrade, stroker crank reserved, bigger pistons Carillo rods, big bill blablabla... should result in

500 RW HP.

Getting it there (and back) proves more than a headache, so if somebody has a brilliant thought: fire away.

Anyway: the 928 out of the garage, means there is place for another car (DO NOT tell the missus untill it is too late).

I was driving around and quess what I stumbled upon: a 1999 Lotus Elise Mk1. Little engine, looked like new. Quite fancy that, like the Mk1 over the others but I was a bit take abreath by the price: 24500 Eur /16.330 UKP.

Next to it was standing another Mk1 Elise -same mileage, same year- for 18.000 EUR (12.000 UKP). Couldn't immediately spot the differance until I looked at the steering wheel position which on the cheaper one was at the right, so a UK car...

Being somewhat reluctant to part with a big bag of pennies, I checked out some UK ads and found that a 1999 Lotus Elise trades for 6000 UKP-9000 UKP. Makes it quite nicer to buy and leaves more money for useless but unmissable upgrades.

All that of course leaves the steering wheel in the wrong place. So, one shot in the dark: are there any convertion kits? It shouldn't be that hard taking into account that the engine is in the back.

Yeah yeah, I know. It ain't senible but I am being sensible all day. one can die of being sensible I've heard ;-)

Thanks in advance for advice.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I have driven cars all over mainland europe (LHD) in a UK right hand drive car(S) for 29 years. I also have driven LHD cars both in both mainland Europe and the UK. I honestly cannot see what the fuss is about. After 10 mins you really dont notice. Except when I kept kept opening a LHD hire cars door instead of changing gear in Turkey (131 mirafiori in rust blue 10 years back)

Reply to
Burgerman

After some getting used to it is indeed feasable but it still gives problems when you change cars of when you drive quickly. I drive from time to time on circuits and I don't want to experience just before the corner that I don't find the gear: eats confidence and collects gravel.

Furthermore the swap for the Elise must be relatively easy: there is nothing in the front and there is the wanted excuse for a high ratio steering rack.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Elise is a nice bit of kit. Certainly the best handling car I've driven. Definitely the best stopping. Just turbo the motor and get rid of the "boot".

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston
[LHD]

Utter bollocks.

No.

Learn to drive.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Don't you mean a Tofas Dogan ?

Go on Google it - you know you want to :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

They all seemed to be painted Yellow. But did come with Aircon, tinted windows and alloys.

Reply to
Elder