Re: Problems with my water works...

> The ti has developed a water leak.

> > There's no mayo in the water, and no overheating indicated > > on the gauge or anything so hopefully it's just a little leak > > > > I'll get it checked out properly at my mate's garage Monday obviously, > > but could it still be a symptom of impending head gasket failure... ? > > Nah, it'll just be a split/perished pipe, or a non-tight join.

That's the kind of thing I wanted to hear :)

Open the bonnet, and get someone to rev the engine (water pump is > driven by engine, so more revs means more pressure) - you should > be able to see where the leak is coming from. If you get the engine > hot first, the leak will make steam, so it's easier to spot.

The leak was when the car was standing still as well, incidentally. I'd assume a head gasket leak normally occurs whilst the engine is in motion (never had one go before)... ?

Reply to
Lordy

That sounds familiar. Do you recall when I was almost swayed by a grey

620ti? And it overheated in traffic? It had a leak from the coolant pipe near the exhaust, which kinda disconnected, hence it ran out of coolant.

Still, it looked cool[1], the 620ti in a _huge_ cloud of steam . . . :)

[1] from a certain perspective, heh!
Reply to
DervMan

Lordy raved thus:

:: The leak was when the car was standing still as well, incidentally. :: I'd assume a head gasket leak normally occurs whilst the engine is :: in motion (never had one go before)... ?

Dunno if this is the same in all cases, but when I've had head gaskets go it's been an internal 'blow'. So when the water is disappearing it either goes into the cylinder and out the ehxaust, or internally into the oil. So rather than noticing a leak, you see the water level dropping and wondering where it's going; until you check the oil :o)

Abo

Reply to
Abo

Yea, that's what I thought.

Reply to
Lordy

I think this season's unuasully high temp's is taking it's toll on our cars, and really testing our cooling system's.

My aircon has been on almost perm since the hot weather began a few months ago, and this combined with the heat has brought out the flaws in the system's

Perhaps we neglect the fact that we should be using high quality antifreeze/coolent and dont get it changed often enough or flush out the system.

Thats what I recken anyway my problem is :)

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I was expecting to need to be regassing the Ka's air conditioning this year, and topping up the coolant - especially after we thoroughly roasted the engine on most of the shows we went to (especially Interford, where the Ka was stationary for twenty minutes with the air conditioning on full, it icy cold in there when we eventually got in!). But, nothing, it's been as reliable as a pin.

Although some of y'all will scoff about the heat produced from a ickle 1.3 donk, the Ka's problem isn't the amount of heat produced, it's that it has almost nowhere to go, so once it gets hot, it stays hot.

Reply to
DervMan

Yes, that's the case 99.9999999% of the time.

Reply to
Nom

All over/under the engine - it could be any of them ! Basically, you're looking at all pipes that aren't Turbo/Aircon related :)

Can't remember where the specific "very close to the exhaust" one is - but simply follow the exhaust down and it should be easy enough to see ?

Could also be the water pump - you should be able to see where the leak is coming from ?

Reply to
Nom

I avoid that, cos my support has a rubber grip thing round it, so you don't have to touch the metal :)

Reply to
Nom

Yours still has metal on it? :(

Our rubber stuff melted off . . .

Reply to
DervMan

Of course, due to Rover's premium build quality. You can't expect a little Ford to be able to compete... :)

Reply to
Lordy

/remembers the Rover 620ti boiling over in traffic/

Reply to
DervMan

Manual bonnet supports?

How common...

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

That one was fecked. The T16 Turbo lumps are pretty much bulletproof.

And yes, my anti-burn-rubber is still all present and correct :)

Reply to
Nom

LOL :)

Reply to
Nom

Yup. It had done a lot of miles and not seen a service bay.

Heh!

He did sell it on to some unsuspecting chap, who came back to the office a few days later _quite unhappy_ as I recall.

Reply to
DervMan

It's on the list of things that I'm planning to do to Kermy. All in time.

Reply to
DervMan