shock horror. A mod post..

When I was outside doing the hoses on the MX-5 earlier, some oldish boy started talking to me. His son had one a while ago etc etc, there's something in the garage for it that's been there ages, it's yours if you want it sort of chat.

He disappeared and has just come back with a engine bay strut brace apparently off a MK1 MX-5. Now, I know what it does and where it goes. Is it worth fitting it? Is it just a case of undoing the bolts , putting it on, and torquing them down again, or is it more complex than that?

cheers Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Fuck yeah...tightens up cornering no end. It's instantly noticable the first time you go down a twisty road or round a sharp fast bend as long as you're the kind of driver who can actually feel a car.

Completely sorted out all the slopping about in my Capri when I fitted one.

I'd fit a rear one to the MX5 as well. Pointless putting a rear one on my Capri as its on leaf springs so doesn't do anything.

Nope - that's the lot, job done.

Reply to
Conor

Some cars it makes little difference - it depends how tight the front end is already. On my T5 the difference was instantly noticeable when you powered out of a corner. But some of the more hardcore MX5s had them fitted from the factory, so if Mazda thought they made a difference I'd say get it on there as soon as you have 10 minutes spare!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I presume I need to root my torque wrench out and find the right settings from the OC forums then :-)

Thanks all

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Shouldn't do...just tighten the nuts right up.

Reply to
Conor

Pffffft, I wouldn't bother personally. But 30-36Nm (22-26lb ft) is the setting according to the handy enthusiasts manual on the shelf next to me :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Good stuff. I've put it on and it has made some difference. Much less sloppy and it appears to be less susepctible to tramlining on the crap roads round here, though that might just be my imagination. I took it down some twisty roads and it's more like I expected an MX-5 to be now. Turns in sharply and the rear end seems more predictable. Less rattly noises too.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Cheers Carl. It's on now. Piece of piss..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P