What is it with 'bloated' cars these days?

As the result of a post in another place, I just did a quick comparison of the size of my 75TS with a Ford Focus 2.0 Zetec:

75 Focus Length: 4.31m 4.36m Width: 1.63m 1.69m Height: 1.34m 1.43m Weight: 1118kg 1160kg Power: 148bhp 130bhp

In it's day, the 75 was a class above the Focus, and I'd certainly say it offers more 'space' for people inside it (even though the boot is smaller due to the transaxle).

Car designers have got exceptionally lazy. Maybe they've been taking lessons from MS programmers?

Reply to
SteveH

In news:1gmaebr.1i1yplu1ua3x6yN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Yup. You're right. My Sierra weighs around 1380kg, has that boat anchor V6 in the front, 4wd, and is lighter than a 4 motion Golf.

Nah, car designers are at least awake.

Reply to
Pete M

*thud*

Just how heavy can anyone make a medium family car, ffs!

Reply to
SteveH

Its partly all the safety features like abs etc Partly Extra strenght of the chassis for those ncap tests. Partly being lazy.

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

Madness innit?

As an example of how much fatter things have got, the Capri weighs in at

1060kg.

The Fiesta TDCi weighs 1140kg... about the same as your Alfa.

Reply to
Pete M

That's relatively fat for it's age, too.

And it's only 1ft shorter!

Shocking, when you look at the original Fester.

The 1100 Ghia was 755kgs and 3.7m long. That's lighter than a Ka, and about the same size. Only the Fester had more room inside for passengers and luggage.

Reply to
SteveH

More, actually.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

And I'll bet an Austin 1100 beat it hands down. ;-)

I'd say air bags and crumple zones would account for much of the difference in size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But with a transverse engine you should be able to package more efficiently - have you looked at the length of a 75 bonnet compared with the length of the car? I'd say that a bonnet that long offers an adequate crumple zone ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

How much of the engine comes inside the car when you hit another object, though?

The Supra should by rights be astonishingly safe. There's enough room to get the whole Sera engine bay between the block and the front bumper ;)

Bloody safety hardware. Six inch spikes instead of airbags!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Found this on the DVLA cherished numbers website:

BL04 TED £2,299

Reply to
fishman

I'm pretty sure the substantial torque-tube will arrest any movement of the engine ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Not likely to appear on the chairman's car, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Heh! I was worried I'd get that on my Beetle because it's from Brum...

Who the hell would actually buy it?!

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Crash both into the same object, at the same speed, and then see which one you prefer...

Reply to
jack hackett

Nice little Ka dig there ;) Subtle :D

Reply to
DanTXD

Some fat bastard? I was thinking of buying it actually :-)

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I don't plan on crashing.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

You're right, most people don't, heh.

But when Ford made the Mondeo safe and heavy, everybody else had to make their cars stronger (with more metal) to compensate... :)

Reply to
DervMan

Does anyone, outside of somewhere like Arena Essex when the banger racing is on, 'plan' on crashing?

It's nice to know that if I do, (or someone chooses to attempt to wipe me out, driving pissed up on my side of the road round a blind bend etc.), I'm more likely to sustain a good buffing from an airbag, rather than my spleen being ruptured by various sharp bits of metal etc.

I've been a passenger in a Mk1 Fiesta that skidded on diesel left on a corner, and slid sideways into lamp post, and the lack of impact bars etc., meant it wrapped its midrift quite nicely round said lamp post, causing me, (being the tallest and planted bang in the middle of the rear seat), to sustain moderate head injuries.

Coming round to the smell and sight of smoke coming from under the bonnet, with blood pissing from your head whilst all your mates who've since got free are screaming 'Get him out, it's gonna go up', and not being able to get one of your legs free from under the drivers seat isn't exactly the nicest thing in the world to wake up to, either.

I'm not saying this wouldn't happen in a more modern car, but I think it's less likely, due to the additional strengthening and safety features implemented since then, that yes, create more bulk and weight.

Newer cars might in general, be more heavier than their predecessors... but they've also got engines run by far more efficient methods, such as ECUs, fuel injection etc.

They also tend to be more aerodynamic than a brick, which also helps in this respect.

So I know which I'd rather have anyway, especially given running costs fuel wise are normally no worse, if not better for modern stuff over their contemporaries.

Having said all that, I still, as you know, have a big bike in the stables as well, so go figure! ;-)

Reply to
jack hackett