05 Brake Problems? Crashed mine yesterday.

Hi, Yesterday driving my new 05 convertible pretty low speed through residential neighborhood a car in front of me stopped short, I stomped on the brakes hard, expected screeching tires, but instead it felt like either a gradual slowdown or maybe no slowdown and I rearended them. I should mention that under normal circumstances the brakes work fine, although I've never had a panic stop before. Has anyone experienced this before? I really can't believe that when you stomp hard on the brakes the car doesnt screen to a halt, but there were no skid marks. I will never trust them again. Also despite significant damage no airbags deployed, is there a threshold speed that triggers them?

Reply to
Strangways

ABS maybe?

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

How can anyone buy a car and NOT test to see how it 'panic stops'?!!!

Different generation, I guess....

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

How are the ABS brakes supposed to work in this situation?

Reply to
Strangways

stop the car using best traction available without leaving skid marks, under any road condition.

IOW, if the street is wet.....

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Good for FORD! Bet you didnt even come CLOSE to needing airbag deployment!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
jmvannoy

When I bought my first anti-lock brake car, one of the first things I did was do a panic stop. Since the brake system acts differently, I was told it was a good idea to know how the car reacts and get used to it in this situation. During a panic stop, the petal pulses and there was a pump noise, all perfectly normal. A friend who works as an accident investigator told me a number of people have had crashes because they let off on the brakes when they felt this for the first time. Most of them didn't ever remember doing it. Also some people still pump the brake petal which severely restricts the anti-lock feature. Another thing to remember is when the anti-lock is activated, you still have steering control. Good Luck Bill

Reply to
Bill