2003 Mach 1 vs. Cobra

Could someone be so kind as to point out the differences between these two vehicles. I believe they are close in power but SOHC vs DOHC ?

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

The '03 Mach 1 has a slightly modified version of the '99-01 Cobra DOHC engine (which is itself a slightly modified version of the '96-98 Cobra DOHC). It's naturally aspirated. I don't remember the power output, but I believe it was somewhere close to the '01 Cobra area of 320hp. Bottom end torque was improved over the older Cobra engines. It is built on the assembly line.

The '03-04 Cobra has a significantly different DOHC. It has forged pistons, cast iron block (instead of aluminum), and the big difference, an Eaton supercharger on top. Power output was rated at 390hp, and many felt (and proved on the dyno) that this was underrated. This engine is hand-built as well.

Other differences... the Mach1 included an Mach1-only interior package and the functional shaker ram-air scoop on the hood. It was also available in an automatic, whereas the Cobra since its inception in '93 has only ever been offered in a manual transmission. The '03-04 Cobras have 6-speeds, the only products other than the SVT Focus to offer a 6-speed manual... the Mach has the standard Tremec 5-speed. All Cobras since '99 have come with IRS, while the Mach has a solid rear axle. The Mach also had a couple color options only available to it... the '04 Cobra had a Mystichrome color option (saw one in person... very nice, would be afraid to park it anywhere). The suspension is set up better in the Cobra, and there are frame stiffeners included (factory subframe connectors) to keep the car from twisting up under all of the power.

JS

Reply to
JS

Thinkuveddy much. I'm looking to trade the Murano on a Cobra or Lightning, it depends on what I can find and the deal I can get. The LX isn't for sale yet, but there's a small chance it *might* turn into a source of mod cash. Maybe. I saw an 03 Mach for like $19K and wondered what differences there were.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Fox,

Here's some more info from one of my old posts:

The Mach 1's motor, despite what many people think, is not the same as what came in the '96-'98 Cobras, and it is even different from the '99-'01 Cobras. The Mach 1's cylinder heads are the same as the high-flow '03-'04 Cobra heads. The Mach 1's intake cams are also different from the earlier quad-cam Cobras; the intake cams were snagged from the 5.4 Navigator and while they sport the same lift as the '01 Cobra's cams, the overlap and duration are different. The Mach 1's compression is 10:0.1 vs 9.85 of the earlier DOHCs, and the '03-'04 Cobras' 8.5:1. The exhaust manifolds are new and are port matched to the heads. The aluminum intake, while similar to the '99-'01 Cobra, is unique to the Mach 1 too.

Mach 1's numbers:

310HP for the stick version 308HP for the automatic

While the Mach 1's horsepower numbers are advertised lower than the '01 Cobra, the Mach 1 actually makes more power and is the quickest/fastest normally aspirated 4 valve Mustang to date.

The Mach 1, and '99-'04 Cobras, and for that matter the '00 Bullitt, all share the same PBR brakes. The specs are 13.0" up front and 11.7 rear. The standard GT also has 13.0s up front, but has smaller 10.5s in the back.

Last note: The '03-'04 Cobra sport a 6 speed manual while, like you mentioned, the Mach 1 has choice of an automatic and only a 5-speed trans.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Top of all this, the 03/04 Cobra engine is built to handle supercharching. Forged pistons, steel block, it's rock solid and can handle way more power than it comes with. It's rated at 390 from Ford, but it puts out more than that. Most people dyno in the 425 range, STOCK. Also, if you want to make them go faster, it's a lot easier to do it on the 03/04 Cobra than the mach-1. Also, the powerband of the 03/04 Cobra is very wide. The Mach-1 has to be driven at high rpm's to get all the power, the Cobra's have tons of torque at 2K rpm already. Everyday driveability is , IMHO, better in the Cobra. Don't get me wrong, the MACH-1 IS a nice car, and you'll have lots more power than 90% of the cars out there. It all depends on what you want, and how much $$ you are willing to throw in. I think for the price of the Cobra you get a lot of bang for the buck. (btw, the Cobra uses Brembo discs IIRC) Add a 6 speed, better suspension, nicer interior, nicer exterior ( IMO) And the Cobra is what I'd pick.

Rein

does the mach 1 have an iron or aluminum engine block?

thanks

chris

04 comp orange cobra vert

Reply to
Chris Shea

Thanks. So the Mach 1s are obvious, but how do I tell that the Cobra I am looking at is an 03 or 04 rather than an 02 and down??

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Pop the hood. The little Eaton blower will give it away. ;-)

Other things to look for...

Turn signal is amber in color (separate section of brake light area) Third brakelight is an LED light instead of the standard 5 (or so) bulb light Front fascia has large oval openings for the foglights - very aggressive. Shifter knob shows 6 gears on the printed H-pattern Boost gauge built into the standard gauge cluster, I believe replacing the volt gauge but I'm not entirely sure. Hood has a significant difference over the normal GT, and I believe the '99 and '01 Cobras as well. Factory subframe connectors even on coupes.

I think those are the major visual differences between the '99,'01 and the '03-04 Cobras. Note that there were no '00 and '02 Cobras in this country (except the '00 Cobra R)... and if you see anyone selling one, or an automatic Cobra, run the other way... they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

JS

Reply to
JS

Not on the '03 & '04 Cobras, back to regular Mustang tail lights.

Yep, upper right.

Yep, two large open (sort of) reverse flow scoops sat down into the hood.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Not really an option when prowling around in the evenings deciding which one to look at by subjecting myself to a used car salesman.... :-p

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]