460 Trans Options was Re: Do we allow CobraJet....

Then to keep the thread on topic, I found this link to a company that makes

> a bellhousing for a BB that will mount up a c4. I think I found it over > AHPBBFM, I cant remember. well, I have a '71 and a 460 available to me. > Can I make the existing c4 live behind a BB for street use only? Or is this > a lost causes and should just look for a c6 while I am at it? I am looking > into a std rebuild of the 460. nothing crazy. What do you think? > > Scott

The link I posted in AHPBBFM pertains to FE engines. The 460 is a

385 series. I believe there are a couple other companies that have a 385-to-C4 bell, but it's really of little use for the street. There, the C6 will work best.

Another option for the street would be an AOD buildup for the 460. Lots of trick parts exist for that trans. One bellhousing for this swap is from Lentech:

The OD ratio in the AOD would permit the use of 4.11's out back while giving you "2.79's" in 4th. I would use some Sonnax parts in the valve body and the band out of an AODE. If this is an aggressive car, and the 460 is cammed for a wide torque band, you can utilize the wide gearset out of a 4R70w trans to drop the 1st and 2nd gear ratios. For something more fun to drive around, my choice would be a manual valve body and a ratchet shifter. This eliminates the use of a TV cable to the carb. Overdrive is engaged off a switch on your shifter.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet