65 mustang manual to autotransmission conversion

I'm thinking about changing the 3 speed manual gearbox om my 65 289 convertible for a automatic one. The automatic transmission I'm looking at is from an 88 351 Mustang GT, but I'm assured it will work (and fit) with any 289, 302 or 351w

The model number of the aut transmission is PF D7 BP 7976 type 30 There's also on it AA OF 142 772. Will this indeed work with my 298 and does it fit well in the body of the 66 model mustang?

I know you have to add an oilcooler and may have problems with the speedometer connection. I also have access to a rack, so that makes it a bit easier.

What other hurdles can I expect while doing this? How much work are we talking about? Will the floor shifter go through the same hole as the manual stick?

Thanks and greetings from Holland!

Michel

Reply to
Michel Wets

The D7 indicates a 1977 C4 transmission, will it work, sure why not. You'll also need the correct brake pedal assembly (so the clutch pedal is no longer hanging down and in the way, along with the correct floor shifter assembly, and someone who can weld up the larger "manual shifter" hole in your transmission tunnel. Finally, no such thing as a

88 351W powered GT...Obviously an earlier drivetrain swap.............

Bill S.

Michel Wets wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Hmm... interesting, this transmission is defiantly a T5 trans. I'm installing a new clutch. but the whole teardown has been odd, it actually seems like the transmission has never been out of the car but it has 16k on the clock. Additionally the floor pan where the shifter goes thru on the bottom side looks like it has been cut out with a torch. Any thoughts there Bill?

Dave

Reply to
Mustang GT

Reply to
Mustang GT

Thanks Bill,

Will the brake pedal still be physically in the same place? Then it would just be a case of making the top wider (going to the left). On the other hand I would expect the brake paddle to be more to the left in an automatic car as you would want to have the (forgive my English) stick (?) which goes to the brake cilinder straight in the middle of the pedal on which you press.

Welding is not a problem. But would the floor shifter go into the factory console, taking up the same space as the manual stick, or do you have to make a different hole or make it wider?

Thanks for the info on the origin of the transmission. This was the info I got from the guy selling it

Michel

Reply to
Michel Wets

Hello,

I have a 64.5 auto mustang and I put in a new (new to me) tranny. I got a c4 with a shift kit that was in a 89 mustang that the guy was using for the track. There is a problem installing it.

I think it is just the 64.5 & 65's that are different than the other mustangs. By that I mean there isn't enough room for you to fit in the tranny without changing the bell housing. I used my old bell houseing but I don't know what you will do. Then, the Drive shaft was too short so I had to get one from the scrap yard from a 89 style stang. It fit, but it is out of balance (oh what an annoying rattle noise). NOw that I know better, I would have got the drive shaft from a SVO.

I wish the other bell houseing fit because I have a 2500 stall that I couldn't use. I had to use the stock one instead. Everything else bolts up fine, though.

Good luck.

Pat in socal.

Reply to
pat

Hi Pat,

As far as I (newbie) know chassis wise the 64.5, 65 and 66 model had the same outside sizes. But I thought the 64.5 was not available with a 289 engine. Did you have a

289 engine put in later?

The bell houseing, I assume that's the part in between the engine and the transmission, right? (I wish I could find an English Dutch technical dictionary :) I don't know if the bell houseing is included with the transmision, I'll check that.

Thanks!

Michel

Reply to
Michel Wets

The 289 was available in a 64.5 Mustang. It was engine code D for a 4 barrel carb or K for the Hi Performance model.

Ford made engine blocks with two different bell housing mounting bolt patterns. They are called 5 bolt and 6 bolt engine blocks. This is the number of bolts used to attach the bell housing to the engine block. Ford started with the 5 bolt design. They changed sometime during the 1965 year. Every small block engine since the change over uses the same 6 bolt pattern. If you have the original engine in your car, a 1989 transmission will not bolt up to the engine. You need to find a transmission or bellhousing ( I am not familiar with automatic transmissions, I don't know if the bell housing is removeable or not.) from an early 65 or 64 car. Or you can replace the engine with one from 1966 or later and then any trans will fit.

All 260 engines are 5 bolt bell housings. 289's came in both designs.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Thanks Erich!

I think Bill S made clear that the trans is not from 89, but from 77. However that doesn´t change the validity of your remarks. Yes, the original 289 engine is still in the car.

So basically I should check if my car has the 6 bolt bellhouse which the newer auto tranny has. If it has the 6 bolt: no problem. If it doesn't, it means I would have to swap engines as well, which I'm not gonna do as mine has been balanced 2 years ago and runs perfectly. So in that case I would have to keep looking for an auto trans with a 5 bolt connection.

Thanks, this helped!

Michel

Reply to
Michel Wets