Mach 460 audio wiring

Installing a new head unit for my 98 GT... need to know what wires are what for the head unit. Bought a diff. head unit (cheapie)... looking to wire it myself. So far, I've got the power working.... and 1 speaker hooked up ;D. Any help/advice appreciated very much. Thx.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors
Reply to
<memset

Is the factory wiring harness still in place; or are you trying to cut/solder the new headunit in?

The easiest way is usually to head to an audio store (hell, even Walmart, these days) and get a Factory Wiring adapter - it's a set of connectors that will plug right into the factory harness; and comes out to pigtails that are colour coded to match your head-unit's wiring (thing's like red & yellow for power, blue for amp/power antenna, series of colours & stripes for the speakers, etc)

Failing that, (i.e the factory harness is damaged/missing) there are cheat-sheets available (hit google) to get the colourcodes.

Heath

Reply to
Heath Doane

Why not just get the adapter from Scosche or Crutchfield's? No cutting, no splicing, no guessing.

If you just GOTTA cut wires yourself, head to the service department at your local dealership. They are usually willing to print the wiring diagram from the service manual on the 'puter.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Hey Mike, Are you replacing the 460 with something else?

Somehow I am thinking that that's a no no.

I'll look through my stuff to see if I can find you a wiring diagram and email it to you.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I bought a stereo connector from Scoche (sp?) from walmart.. but it doesn't work right. The big grey connector it fits... but nothing else fits on my new head unit.

P.S. I cut a few wires, but they are back together already.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

What make/model of head did you get, anyways?

Typically, the head unit will come with a wire-harness; that's colour-coded... Take that, and match colour-for-colour with the adapter to fit the factory harness... Plug the one end into the factory connector in the dash, plug the other end into the head-unit (if it's removable - most are these days) - then slide the radio home... Don't forget the antenna wire, too...

Reply to
Heath Doane

I plugged the adapter into the factory wiring... but no other end fits into the aftermarket (cheap.. nuff said :P) so I just wired the color-coded wires together. No big deal. Then it doesn't power on......... and I say f*ck it, I'll work on it later. I shut off the car... try to lock doors.......... ain't happenin. Windows will roll down, but doors don't lock/unlock. Also, keyless entry lock/unlock/trunk/panic doesn't work. Could be a blown fuse? Which fuse would I check? All of 'em I guess... just a pain in the ass to get under there. Any other ideas? Thanks.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Ahh...

Didn't know Ford did this; but it's common in the imports...

Sounds like the power-locks, remote entry, etc are all part of the factory headunit. With Hondas, you have to remount the factory headunit up inside the dash and use a special splitter harness to connect an aftermarket head in...

Question now may be; how badly do you want to replace the factory system...

Reply to
Heath Doane

I've had it replaced before, and this wasn't an issue in the past. I put the factory head unit back in due to the aftermarket one being sold. I'm gonna go check fuses.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Just checked my guides, and you're right - there's no connection between the remote entry & the head unit...

Happy hunting with the fuses...

Heath

doors..........

Reply to
Heath Doane

Just realized the speedometer doesn't work either. SIGH. Going to start pulling fuses.. I'll report back.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

message

Reply to
<memset

And I found the blown fuse. 15 (amp?).. will run by autozone & grab a couple more.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

lock/unlock.

Reply to
<memset

Mike I seem to remember(sparked one to many bones in my younger days) a thread earlier this year about putting a /aftermarket head unit on a Mach system and it turned out to be a total cluster fu@k.

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

I remember it too. I've done it before though & it worked great... until I sold it. Anyway.. replaced a couple fuses (I let 2 wires touch... d'oh) & it powers on, but no sound. Hmmmmm... I let the wires touch again on accident (gonna wrap 'em w/ electrical tape now) and blew the fuses again... good thing I bought 5 of each. Any idea why no sound?? I'm sure all of the wires are correctly paired.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

(cheapie)...

Crutchfield's?

Reply to
<memset

any chance you may have put twelve volts into the speakers and blown them? or crossed +@- on the output..........that would blow your output transistors in a heartbeat. Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Hmmmmmmmmm..... I matched the wires correctly.. I'll go double check.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

in

Reply to
<memset

The Mach 460 amps most likely need a 12v signal to power them up, which the stock head unit provided. Aftermarket units usually have an orange wire, usually called the power antenna lead, which can be used. IIRC, none of the speakers in the Mach system are driven directly from the head unit.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Mike, see if any of these are any good:

wrote in news:PLY4d.24007$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Joe

Damn... yeah.. there is an orange wire that says "power antenna / remote amplifier" or something real similar.. and I left it alone b/c I didn't see any matching orange wire.

Update: Blew another fuse (wires touched) so I used electrical tape & prevented that from happening again. I got it all wired up (minus orange wire & couple others that didn't have a matching wire from top head unit (tape deck.. i also have teh cd player)) and it turns on now, but no sound comes out. I put the stock head unit back in (tape deck w/ cd player still installed below it) and I can hear sound perfectly...

Any ideas? What do I hook the orange wire to?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

I've already gotten that first link... but that 2nd link with the 12V source... I didn't know a/b that. Thx! Now if I can find the sucker!! hehe..