'66 overcharging

I'm ready to drive my just completed '66 coupe restomod however I can't because the system is overcharging. When I start the car the ammeter pegs and the voltage is pushing 16 and goes higher when the engine is revved up. Needless to say I don't run it very long fearing it may start blowing bulbs and my MSD ignition system. The car has all new stock wiring harnesses. I tried replacing suspected new parts with the old parts that came off the car and were working fine: alternator, voltage regulator, and even the battery to no avail. All the grounds are present. My guess is there's an unseen problem with the wiring. I already checked the contacts at the voltage regulator and the alternator loom and they are hooked up correctly. If by chance a wire got pinched, which one would cause this condition? Any ideas where else I should look? perhaps I got a faulty harness. TIA

Reply to
Mark C.

the only time I have seen this happen is when the regulator is bad.

Try to isolate the charging system, leaving no other electricals connected. You have the stock in-dash volt meter thingy instead of an alt light? Sure that is connected correctly? That's about the only thing outside of the alt itself and the reg that you need to make the charging system work. Disconnect all aftermarket gauges if you have any. Leave it bone stock, making sure the basics work.

I have a 66 too but unfortunately it's too far away to go take a lok at how things are hooked up.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

its the voltage regulator, the older cars had generators, not alternators, but both had voltage regulators.

Reply to
noman

Oh yea, the regs are different, can't mix and match.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Michael Ashby

"noman" wrote in news:4787e38a$0$47116$892e7fe2 @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

'66 Mustangs had an alternator.

Reply to
elaich

A 66 would have had an alternator. I think the last Mustangs with generators were the first Mustangs in 64. Both my 65 FBs had alternators.

What alternator did you put in it? Check the manufacturers online tech pages or email them.

Sure does sound like the regulator, but, IIRC there was something about the gauge wiring which could also result in the same symptoms. Just can't recall what it was I read about that.

Reply to
Spike

I wish it were as simple as a bad regulator but if you go back and read my original post I installed the old regulator, batt & alternator and it did the same thing. The old parts were working fine but the car is a show ready restoration so I got new parts for better looks and to upgrade the charging system with a higher amp alternator, a solid state Motorcraft voltage regulator and an Optima battery. What I need to know are which wires to check for continuity, voltage and so on.

Reply to
Mark C.