'68 smog question

Was listeing to my local car talk show today and they were mentioning the CHP is planning to check under the hoods of classic cars they stop to verify the smog gear hasn't been tampered with.

In my case, I got a 68 J code 302 Cougar. I'm not the original owner, but I don't see that it ever had a smog pump or anything like that on it. Yet I know that some of the large fords with a similar powerplant, and the BOSS motors, had smog gear on them even in 1968, and before.

My 1st car, a 68 2 bbl Galaxy, I don't think had other than some kind of NOX device or something I recall had to retrofit onto it in 1975 for some reason when i bought the thing.

Does anyone know if some cars in 68 with this motor managed to escape having smog gear on them, or should I be looking for replacement parts?

thx

Reply to
vince garcia

Gill

they are exemot from checks, but it is still against the law to modify the smog system the car came with. Example: you have a 68 fairlane with a thermactor system. Remove the pump and it's a ticketable violation. Hence my concern.

Reply to
vince garcia

Reply to
Gill

not at all, and that's the problem. I'm sure my car never had smog, but if a CHiP pulls me over for a tail light, or whatever, and has me pop the hood and then decides I must have taken the stuff off, then he'll write me a fix-it ticket and leave it for ME to go "prove" to some judge or smog check station my car isn't missing anything.

In other words, it will be made to be MY problem, not the cop's, and MY time, not his, to prove my innocence.

Reply to
vince garcia

Vince,

I dug up an old Chiltons Manual that covers 1968 cars.

It says that 1968-69 cars with manual transmissions and 68-71 High performance V8's used the Thermactor system. Thermactor is Ford's name for an air injection system, aka a smog pump. If you have an automatic car it looks like you are off the hook.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

i do, thanx erich!

Reply to
vince garcia

So now you may have to go to court and prove it?! Sounds comminist ta me. I'm sick of this State.

Reply to
Gill

Vince

Erich is correct. The 68 J-code engines with auto transmissions didn't use the Thermactor Exhaust Emission System, where J-codes w/standard transmissions did.

The 68 J-codes with auto transmissions used the IMCO (Improved Combustion) Exhaust Emission Control System which reduced hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. This was primarily achieved using a calibrated carburetor and distributor combination with spark advance/retard specifications that resulted in a more complete combustion. Limiter caps on the idle mixture screws were also used to prevent enriching A/F mixtures beyond the legal limit, although today you'll rarely find any still intact with the original carburetor....

-- Mike

93 Cobra

Reply to
Mike R

hee :)

I gots a holly on it. Now i wonder if that's a smog violation some cop would gripe about...

Somewhere I do have an autolite 4300 but it's such a piece of junk that it's a crime to use the thing. I don't recall limiters on the mixture controls, though.

Reply to
vince garcia