69 leaky heater core removal question

OK,the heater core leaks.

Most of the AC / some heater parts were taken out before i got the car,including all the ducting tubes etc,so basically the heater is not much use at the moment anyway,unless i manage to find all the parts and put it back together.

For now i want to leave the heater non functional(don't need it in Vegas anyway)and fix it a later time when i have the money to get replacement parts

If i left the core inside,could I just bypass it by making a return feed back to the engine before it goes to the firewall,instead of having to take it all apart to take it out ?

these questions may sound dumb,but i have never had to do this before !

Your patience and answers are appreciated

Andrew

Reply to
me

"me" wrote in news:AuTOc.6775$8k.309@fed1read03:

In short, yes. But doesn't it get cold out there in the winter?

Joe

Yes you can bypass the heater core with no problems. And when you get around to rebuilding your heating and cooling system you should be able to find all the parts you need be it aftermarket or ebay. I just recently rebuilt the entire system im my 69 coupe and I feel sorry for you when you have to pull that heater box out. Not fun to say the least.

Good Luck

Reply to
Jason

Yes. You could bend a pipe in a U shape, and hook the two heater hoses to that. Or, you could get a rubber hose plug at NAPA. It slips over the hose nipple and secured with a clamp just like the heater hose does.

Reply to
boB

Can't you take the input hose off of the heater core and attach it to the engine where the ouput hose would have normally run?

Just curious... have seen a couple late-models done that way for a temporary fix such as that...

JS

Reply to
JS

Sure, you could do it that way. But the way the SBF is set up, you're likely to cause the hose to kink. It won't affect the way the car runs, but does create a weak spot in the hose.

Reply to
boB

Thanks for all those replies guys,i just wanted to make sure it would be ok to do it. In rply to Joe,yeah it does get cold in the winter here,but since i will be registering the car as a classic vehicle,i will be limited to 2,500 miles ayear,so i wont really be doing that much driving in it year round,especially at that time of year.Having said that,if i open the footwell side vents,it lets the warm air come through from the engine,so at least it'll keep my legs warm !!

And in reply to Jason,I'm glad you know what a bitch the heater box is.I was looking at it yesterday,and i was dumbfounded at how the damn thing is going to come out.It looks like its sandwiched together in 2 sections hel by clips.I assume those clips have to come off to release the bottom half,or does the whole box have to come out ?

thanks again guys and i'll be back with more questions v soon Andrew

Sure, you could do it that way. But the way the SBF is set up, you're likely to cause the hose to kink. It won't affect the way the car runs, but does create a weak spot in the hose.

-- .boB

1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged! 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92 1983 GMC Jimmy - Mountain Beater 1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver 1966 FFR Cobra - Ongoing project
Reply to
me

I had a '69 fb with factory air. Like everyone else, I had to replace the heater core. What a pain in the behind it was. The whole box has to come out as a unit, then remove all the clips to open the box. It's not complicated, and you only need a couple of basic tools. But it's a small space to work in. Plan at least a day to do it all. While I was at it I also replaced all the weatherstripping, cleaned out the box really good, and lubed all the flapper doors.

Reply to
boB

yeah ,I'm definately not looking forward to that.One day i'll get round to it but its not going to be soon !!

Andrew

I had a '69 fb with factory air. Like everyone else, I had to replace the heater core. What a pain in the behind it was. The whole box has to come out as a unit, then remove all the clips to open the box. It's not complicated, and you only need a couple of basic tools. But it's a small space to work in. Plan at least a day to do it all. While I was at it I also replaced all the weatherstripping, cleaned out the box really good, and lubed all the flapper doors.

-- .boB

1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged! 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92 1983 GMC Jimmy - Mountain Beater 1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver 1966 FFR Cobra - Ongoing project
Reply to
me

Can you do all this without removing the dash? Or is it all accessible from underneath? I have a factory AC car also and there are no leaking issues, but I'm thinking it might be cheap insurance to go ahead and swap it out.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I thought i would have been able to do it by removing the bottom half of the box,but i think there are some clips at the back that i cant get to without taking the box out

Andrew

Can you do all this without removing the dash? Or is it all accessible from underneath? I have a factory AC car also and there are no leaking issues, but I'm thinking it might be cheap insurance to go ahead and swap it out.

-- Scott W. '66 Mustang HCS 289 '68 Ranchero 500 302 '69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W '97 Cougar 30th Anniv SE 4.6L ThunderSnake #57

Reply to
me

Most of the dash has to come out, but not all of it. Once you get in to it, you'll see how it goes.

Reply to
.boB