69 rear spoiler mounting and metal fatigue?

When I had my 69 coupe at the body shop for rust and paint, etc. They lost the reinforcement brackets i ordered for the rear spoiler and just mounted it with washers under the trunklid. I was going to put some super wide washers or other pieces of flat steel under the trunk lid skin to reinforce it.

How does everyone else mount thier spoilers? Those brackets they sell require cutting/torching to fit. will washers and homemade flat brackets be enuf to avoid the spoiler from fatigueing the lid skin and ripping it to pieces?

Thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

If they lost it, they need to get you another one. Period.

No - the shop needs to get you a replacement.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Cameron

"Thomas Cameron" wrote | No - the shop needs to get you a replacement. | | Thomas

I agree with Thomas

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Been there. Body shop lost a number of small items that discovered after I got home. Getting them to replace them or pay for them has been impossible.

Fabricating new brackets is pretty easy. They are nothing fancy. Make them out of a short piece of angle iron. Curve the edges, drill some lightening holes, polish, powdercoat with near chrome or body color, and they will work perfect and look great.

Reply to
.boB

This being the case, why not just REORDER the brackets and give the shop the bill? If they pay it, great, if not then at least you have the right parts.

Kate

| > How does everyone else mount thier spoilers? Those brackets they sell | > require cutting/torching to fit. will washers and homemade flat | > brackets be enuf to avoid the spoiler from fatigueing the lid skin and | > ripping it to pieces? | >

| > Thanks, | >

| | Been there. Body shop lost a number of small | items that discovered after I got home. Getting them | to replace them or pay for them has been impossible. | | Fabricating new brackets is pretty easy. They are | nothing fancy. Make them out of a short piece of angle | iron. Curve the edges, drill some lightening holes, | polish, powdercoat with near chrome or body color, and | they will work perfect and look great. | | | -- | .boB | 1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged! | 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92 | 1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver | 1966 FFR Cobra - Ongoing project |

Reply to
SVTKate

Need to clarify. They had the brackets the whole time, they just didnt know it. I have them. but they require cutting. Im guessing they didnt realize they had to cut till after they painted and didnt wanna deal with it. so they used washers. The bill is paid and im on my own. This place is like walking into "american hotrod" literally. All they do is $50k-130K projects. and they are just as disorganized as the guys on TV tho they do great work. I paid $7k for my measily project. I am small potatoes to them and they have cut me loose. they already had the car back to do touchups and the areas they didnt buff in the first place.

I dont have the means to cut. Even if I did those brackets dont come with instructions. I would be guessing and visually these things are a puzzle as to how they go on.

washers it is then.

Reply to
faust_151

PS, ive got pics of the whole process on the mustang page of my site.

faust_151

WOAH there big fella.

Ok, lets just say that the rest of what you say here is accurate.

If the shop does what you say they do, and as good a job as you say they do... then they prolly did ok by you with the washers.

There are no spoiler photos on your site. Please tell me that you didn't buy one of those aluminum things.

I LOVE the color that you painted your car! Whoo Hoo pretty blue!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Thanks on the color Kate, its a custom color with 2 pearls and a dark blue shift so the less light hitting it the darker it is in that spot. its supposed to be sunny this weekend gonna finally try and get a good pic to post.

ok, ive got a pic of my $26 bracket and how they mounted my spoiler under the trunk skin. very top of my mustang page on

after looking at the bracket again, i might be able to make my own and mount without cutting just need solid cylinders for the bolts to go thru and maybe connect them. check out the pic and youll get it. Thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

FYI you will probly need to delete my site out of your IE history for it to refresh. its because of the deuche bags I get URL forwarding from.

Reply to
faust_151

No offence but it loaded so slowly the first time, that I didn't go back again. Happily, I live in the boonies, unhappily all I can get is dialup. My site is just as bad, I set it up when I had DSL... still have to move it and update it but with this darn dialup, I am just not wanting to sit by my machine for 8 hours waiting for it to upload!

So... I went back. It refreshed just fine.

*slow - low - whistle*

I ... ok, if this was MY car.... I wouldn't trust washers as a replacement for these brackets. Nope nope nope.

What about the bracket needs to be trimmed?

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate