87 GT with T-Tops - i have a few questions.

i am looking at one this week. and the seller has no idea about the details of the car. i could use a few tips from you guys:

  1. the seller tells me over the phone that the car does not have any A/C - is this possible on a GT?

  1. any way to determine if the car is an original t-top car ? (i want to avoid anything with an aftermarket t-top installed. maybe there are ford logos on the roof panels, or the rear view mirror has lights attached.

  2. anyone know the VIN codes to be sure she is a GT, and had the 5.0 and TTop options factory ?

THanks in advance,

Harry

Reply to
HARRY

The 6th and 7th digits should be (42) indicating a GT-3dr. The 8th digit should read (M) for 5.0L 225HP/HO

You might want to check the very bottom of the door tag decoder (hopefully the original door). The sunroof code would fall between the radio and rear axle codes. If the car was factory equipped with T-tops, look for code (D). 1987 was the last year for T-Tops although a few early production

1988s had them...

I believe the A/C was an option...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Odd as it sounds, I believe that air conditioning was indeed optional. It seems you could delete just about any optional equipment.

Take a look at

and
A GT will have a VIN that starts with "1FABP42", with the 42 indicating a GT hatchback.

The VIN won't tell you if it is an original T-top car, but if you look at the door tag, it should have a letter "D" under the "S" box.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

IIRC, you could delete everything on a GT up to 92. A friend of mine has a No Option 88. No radio, no power doors or windows, no power seats, no ac.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper
2 types of Mustang T-tops

  1. those that leak

  2. those that WILL leak
Reply to
winze

is there anywhere to store those TTops in the trunk of the car ? curious to know if there is a place to lock them down in the trunk.

thanks for your help... i did the VIN analysis of the Fox bodies in this NG - so it answered a lot of questions.

i will post a followup about the car... it is a white car with about

45000 miles/71000 kms on the clock. likely it has been distroyed, but it sounds nice.

anyway thanks again,

Harry

Reply to
HARRY

Very possible.

I had an '87 T-Top car and it had an articulating map light in the center of the headliner near the windshield. I doubt anyone would go to the trouble or expense of installing them in a car. There were other structural reinforcing members added to the roof to stiffen the chassis. You should be able to feen one between the t-top and winshield if it was a factory installation. As was mentioned by someone before, the VIN should reflect whether it came from the factory with them.

I got rid of mine because of the wind noise the t-tops made at highway speeds. The design didn't seal the side glass to the rubber very well. I never had a problem with leaking.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE