89 GT Idle Air Control Cleaning?

Ever since I got my car it would not idle and die when the air conditioning is on. Im guessing its the idle air control. There was a thread recently that talked about cleaning it but I cant find that threat. I removed mine and theres grime inside but the valve moves freely, can i test the electric motor by adding a 12v current? If it just needs to be cleaned what should i use? JB-80? brake cleaner? (says it leaves no residue). or what?

Thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

carb cleaner, lots of it on the inside sections, really clean, the drive voltage is a lot less, 4-5 volts (?) or just replace it, $60 or so.

Reply to
Johndog

'

I never had any luck trying to clean mine. You can try but when it doesn't work just buy a new one.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher