96 GT Starting Problems

Thanks in advance for any advice on this one. Year ago I picked up a 96 GT (4.6L) so I would have something to tinker with.

Heres the situation:

When I got the car it ran fine with the only problem a code being set for the canister purge solenoid. Drove the car approx 1000 miles with no problems. Now when I got it, the inner fender on the drivers side was gone, along with the washer bottle, and the battery was held in with a bungie cord.

Proceeded to install new battery tray, (course pulled the battery), installed washer bottle and liner in the drivers side fender. At same time changed the oil in the car, (this was done before pulling battery and car ran afterwards).

Now the car will start, idle goes up to @1500 as if to warm up, then car dies after 5 seconds (or less). Will not restart unless key is cycled off then back on. Now I have been playing with this off and on for the last 6 or so months and this is what I have tried.

Checked the grounds from the battery to the frame, and the engine - all good. MAF Sensor Seems to be okay, but installed new one for testing, same results. IAC is good, when disconnected car won't idle unless you hold throttle. TPS tests good Temperature sensor tests good (shouldn't have an effect anyway) Crankshaft position sensor is good, won't run at all with it disconnected. I believe the camshaft sensor is good, but haven't pulled the Power Steering Resv. to check it. Cannister purge shouldn't have effect, but has been plugged to prevent vacuum leak All vacuum lines look to be in good order

Tried to hold the idle at high RPM so computer could relearn fuel curve, but car will not run long enough to do this.

Only other item, car did have a non working aftermarket alarm installed, which was removed. This alarm was installed with suitcase connectors on wiring, and every wire that was spliced into has been cut and butt connected back together. This was done two or so months after the problem occured.

Any ideas, right not I am down to the PCM being damaged when the battery was reconnected, but hate to pull that unless it is likely to be a cause.

Thanks again

Reply to
Gemini