Alternative engines for early cars?

I'm thinking of using an alternative engine in my next '66 T Code project coupe. I definetely want a 5 speed. Any thoughts on a 2.8, 3.8 V-6 or turbo

2.3L? I'd probably go with carburation instead of FI.
Reply to
Mark

Go 3.8 SFI Turbo Buick...86-87 vintage.

///Mike

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

Without a doubt, go 2.3 Ford and go here for your hardware:

CobraJet

The plain jane 2.3L 4 cyl is a pig. It was a pig in the original cars, and it will be a pig in a '66. But the turbo 2.3, now that's another story. I've been thinking baout that, and I see two issues that really need to be addressed. The motor mounts will have to be fabricated; not a big deal if you're semi-hand with a welder. And I think you'll have to have custom front springs made for the light weight. Again, not a big deal. The 3.8L supercharged T-Bird looks like a great donor car. I think that would be an awesome combo for a '66. Again, there are some problems that need to be addressed. On initial inspection, it appears to be a little taller than a 302, and may need a raised hood. But I didn't actually measure so that may not be true. Motor mounts appear to be the same as a 302. Weight is pretty close to a 302, so cutting a coil out might work, or maybe using a 6 cyl spring. And the oil pan is a rear sump. So you might have to use a MII front suspension.

Reply to
boB

I think the biggest prob with this is all the plumbing and crap. The Bird's engine bay is wider than the '66, and the SC engine takes up all the extra space. Good engine, though.

This question brings to mind a motor that was in the Ford Motorsport catalog for just a few years last decade. For certain race class applications, Ford released a 3.8 liter inline 4 cylinder, the

230-incher. This block was essentially half a 460, and used 460 pistons and rods and cylinder heads. Imagine a 4-banger with a modern aluminum 460 Cobra Jet head and 20 lbs of boost. Talk about an import smasher!

There has to some of these still floating around. Coupled with lightweight body and suspension components.... well, nothing like a big block four to blow some minds.

Reply to
CobraJet

Hell yeah.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

I would grab one of those in a second. Damn, what a motor that would be.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper