Back to the Unintended Acceleration...

August 22, 2005 The victims of sudden acceleration all tell a similar tale. "I got into my car and turned on the ignition. I put the car in reverse. The car rocketed backward into a telephone pole."

While the people who survived sudden acceleration have reported pretty much the same story since the late 1980s, no one in Washington seems to be paying much attention.

More than 20,000 consumers have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of sudden acceleration since the

1980s when vehicles began using an increasing number of electronic-based controls.

Terri Moore from Seattle is one of the most recent. ?I am yet another victim of sudden acceleration,? she writes. ?My Saturn Vue was parked in a parking lot. I entered the car, turned on the ignition and put the car in reverse. The car rocketed backward and hit a pole.?

After Terri?s Saturn slammed into the telephone poll behind her, she said that she ?put the car in drive to inch away from the pole I was wrapped around and the car rocketed forward, out of control.?

?This is insane,? Terri concluded.

The Federal agency charged with investigating the problem is NHTSA.

NHTSA has concluded in many previous cases that most incidents of sudden acceleration are caused not by vehicle defects but by drivers' errors. Drivers mistakenly stomp on gas pedals instead of the brakes.

Terri Moore is unimpressed with NHTSA?s sudden acceleration track record.

?The research I have done indicates the NHTSA cannot recreate the problem,? she wrote. ?So NHTSA has concluded there is no problem. In the meanwhile, people are getting injured and killed.?

Several years ago, NHTSA launched a preliminary investigation of sudden acceleration involving Toyota automobiles after receiving reports of 30 accidents, including one in which a pedestrian was injured.

Last year, the agency reported that it was unable to find a cause for the problem. NHTSA said it analyzed many of the cars involved in the mishaps and found nothing abnormal with the throttle controls. Once again NHTSA pointed to the driver. The agency said sudden surges are sometimes caused by drivers who are unfamiliar with their new vehicles.

That sort of brush off has Terri Moore seeing red. ?I am not too young to know better or too old to confuse the gas from the brake,? she said. Terri continues to look for a lawyer in Seattle who understands sudden acceleration. No one else seems to be paying a lot of attention.

?I have a 100,000-mile warranty on my car. So I am stuck with a car with

9,500 miles on it. I owe $20,000 on the contract and I am afraid to get in it and drive for fear of killing someone or myself.?

Ross of West Hollywood has a similar problem with his 2001 Ford Expedition, and has gotten a similar shrug from the dealer.

"The car, When stopped at an intersection or stoplight, will without warning, feed a unprecedented amount of gas to the engine ... The car jumps forward like a bull waiting to get out of the gates. I have my foot on the brake when this happens so I know I am not stepping on the gas. Even with my foot on the brake, the power of the engine dominates the brakes and the car jumps forward anywhere from 1 to 10 feet," Ross said.

"The fourth time it happened was severe and the car almost hit a much smaller car in front of me. If I hit them, they could have hit the pedestrians in front of them. I had a passenger and after this occured he insisted on getting out of the car and would not ride with me again in that car," he said.

Ross said the dealer could find nothing wrong. "They do not seemed concerned that they are forcing a dangerous car back on the road. They only seemed concerned with their payment and giving me back the car."

Reply to
GatorMan

Of interesting note.... most of the complaints, I dare say, regarding unintended acceleration involve cars that have mechanically controlled throttle butterflies. Of these, those equipped with an electronic control for idle speed modulation cannot muster any greater rpm with the throttle balde(s) closed than an older automatic choke equipped vehicle.

The largest concern, in these cases, is that so-called "responsible adults" find it so easy to abdicate any responsibility for their own actions. Whether we are driving a car or operating some other sort of machinery, we should always be prepared for something unexpected to happen. The number of unsafe operators far outweighs the number of unsafe machines.

Reply to
Jim Warman

One of the most important parts:

"Last year, the agency reported that it was unable to find a cause for the problem. NHTSA said it analyzed many of the cars involved in the mishaps and found nothing abnormal with the throttle controls. Once again NHTSA pointed to the driver. The agency said sudden surges are sometimes caused by drivers who are unfamiliar with their new vehicles. "

Reply to
WindsorFox

Let's reiterate:

"The number of unsafe operators far outweighs the number of unsafe machines. "

I have said for many years that we could probably go back to a 14yo age limit on driving IF we adopted the rules of preparation similar to those in Germany and other European countries.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Older cars would do this if the driver's side engine mount broke. The engine would lift and pull the throttle. Especially if you were backing up and moved the shifter to Drive. Used to own a towing company and seen this many times on late 50's cars. Sometime in the 60's they made the mounts so even if the rubber broke the engine would stay in place.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

My 99 GT will, when first started cold, sometimes blip the throttle by itself right after I put it in gear, which is usually reverse, to back out of the garage. But it only goes to maybe 1100 rpm and it's hardly uncontrollable. But I wonder if this kind of cold start behavior might startle some folks into mashing the throttle when they get surprised by it.

It would be interesting to see just how much "throttle" the IAC can give the engine if it's driven "full stroke" so to speak.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher